Paint delamination

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Has any of you have issues with factory paint delamination? Ever since I moved back to MA, the first winter it has been through in below 30 degrees made my paint bubble up and separated from the factory primer. Over the summer it barely peeled off and now the weather is back in the 30's and under, the paint is beginning to delaminate like a wild fire. Now, there is a new spot on my driver's side door. My hood has a huge stretch on the driver's side at the corner of the cowl. A relative told me that it has nothing to do with the weather, I think otherwise because I notice it is peeling whenever it hits under 30 degrees.

Is this something GM can address or I'm shit outta luck and gotta get a whole new paint job? I usually keep my truck clean most of the time and take care of the body. It's an eyesore to see the paint peeling and degrading the looks as it sits now.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Shoulda stayed in az lol. Damn man that sucks to hear. It's gunna be a bear to paint cause all that paint has to come off and go to bare metal to do it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DixonM

Nov 20, 2014
Florida
It is just crappy gm white paint look at how many work vans you see on the road with the paint coming off in sheets.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My guess is moisture under the paint freezing and expanding causing the paint to come off. Time for a new paint job or a new truck...

I'm happy mine still looks great, but I'm nervous about it.

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
My truck has a couple of spots on the side doing that. Blew off when I was washing it one day. I figure ill wait till it gets so bad I can't stand it then repaint it.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I can't stand it right now, it looks like shit! It picked the wrong time to peel. I got other things to fix on my truck but can't afford to at the moment. It's hard to support a family of 4 while the wife isn't working and taking care of my 2 kids.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Ya it doesn't leave much for doing this that ain't necessary.

You could Hit the hood and roof with some Plastic Dip. Mike something has a thread where he sprayed his roof. I though it looked pretty good. They make a clear maybe you can hit the door to slow it down. It won't look good, but may help some.