P2463 P0420 Reduced engine power

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I've been away for awhile driving a stock LML trying to keep it running. Well...

I've been getting the P0420 occasionally and have been clearing it and everything was fine. Lately my truck had gone into frequent regens, like twice in a tank of fuel. This last weekend I hooked up my 5th wheel and went for a trip. The whole trip I expected it to go into regen. The soot grams were in the low 40's but it never went into regen.

On the way home it set the P0420 code and I left it alone. Still no regen. After I got home I needed to make about 120 mile round trip drive and I expected it to regen but nope, no regen and the soot grams were in the high 50's. All along I have been monitoring the egt's, DEF differential pressure and soot grams on my CTS and it never showed any indication it was about to regen.

Ok so now grams are at 60 and the P2463 code set and Reduced Engine Power has set.

So for the TLDR crowed: will the P0420 cause the truck to not regen?
I know there is an extended warranty for the indirect injector and can it by not injecting fuel to start the heat up process cause a no regen issue?

Side note the P0420 codes started showing up after the DEF tank was repaired for a tank heater code (P205B?).

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
DTC P0420

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P0420

Catalyst System Low Efficiency

Circuit/System Description

The diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC), main function is to control emissions of Non Methane Hydro Carbons (NMHC)and soluble organic fraction (SOF). The secondary function of the DOC is to assist with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration, by obtaining and sustaining the temperature necessary for regeneration. The engine control module (ECM) monitors the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensor 1 to determine if the operating temperature of the catalyst is achieved during a regeneration event.

When the ECM detects that the DOC is not reaching a pre-determined temperature during an active regeneration event this DTC fails.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ECM must be commanding an active regeneration.
DTC P0420 runs once during an active regeneration event.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM determines that the DOC functionality has degraded below a calibrated threshold, during a regeneration event.
The condition exists for greater than 4.5 minutes.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0420 is a type B DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P0420 is a type B DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

The use of Off Road Red Dye Fuel or continuing use of non ultra low sulfur fuel may be a possible contributor to this DOC failure.
If EGT sensor 1, before the DPF, is slow to respond to exhaust gas temperature changes, or sticks in range, this DTC may set.

Circuit/System Verification

Verify that DTCs P003A, P0047, P0048, P0101, P0201-P0208, P02A1, P02A5, P02A9, P02AD, P02B1, P02B5, P02B9, P02E0, P02E7-P02E9, P029D, P0300-P0308, P0402, P046C, P0545, P0546, P2032, P2033 are not set.

If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions

Verify that exhaust leaks do not exist before the DOC. Refer to Exhaust Leakage. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Exhaust System\Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Exhaust Leakage

Circuit/System Testing

Important: Perform the Repair Verification after completing the Circuit/System Testing.

Inspect for the following conditions, which may cause a diesel oxidation converter (DOC) to degrade:

Off Road Fuel or Red Dye Fuel
Low quality B-20 fuel
Fuel Containing high sulfur content
Engine oil or coolant consumption
Leaking fuel injectors

Inspect the DOC for the following conditions:

Physical damage or alterations
Internal rattles caused by a damaged catalyst substrate
Exhaust leaks before or after the DOC.
If a condition is found, replace the DOC.

If all exhaust system inspections are normal, replace the DOC.

Repair Instructions

Catalytic Converter Replacement (4.3L) Catalytic Converter Replacement (4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, 6.2L) Catalytic Converter Replacement (6.6L)
Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Regeneration Enable) Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Service Regeneration) for Service Regeneration

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
We run off road in our DPF equipped shit at the Rig, its ultra low sulfur, so how is it saying it'll affect the DPF, seen 3rd party company trucks idle for days with DPF and off road too, and no issues.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
We run off road in our DPF equipped shit at the Rig, its ultra low sulfur, so how is it saying it'll affect the DPF, seen 3rd party company trucks idle for days with DPF and off road too, and no issues.

Same here, my rig had red fuel and it was issue free even now our tier4b iveco motors run off red fuel issue free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
The dealer did 3 forced regens and said there was nothing wrong and everything works as it should.

I caught the mechanic that worked on my truck coming back from the test drive and tried to ask some questions. He said I wasn't driving it long enough for it to regen then said I was using the wrong fuel. After I explained those away he then said it was tuned and was fueling too much. He knew it wasn't tuned. As he was leaving to go back to the shop he turned and said just delete it and move on. The truck is getting close to

I'm about to give up and delete it, but the shop that does my state safety inspection said that Texas is adding the DPF to the required to have to pass list next year.

Edit: this truck regens at about 250 miles every time.

Last edited:

stroke250

I May Be Lost...
Jul 1, 2008
Idaho
The dealer did 3 forced regens and said there was nothing wrong and everything works as it should.

I caught the mechanic that worked on my truck coming back from the test drive and tried to ask some questions. He said I wasn't driving it long enough for it to regen then said I was using the wrong fuel. After I explained those away he then said it was tuned and was fueling too much. He knew it wasn't tuned. As he was leaving to go back to the shop he turned and said just delete it and move on. The truck is getting close to

I'm about to give up and delete it, but the shop that does my state safety inspection said that Texas is adding the DPF to the required to have to pass list next year.
Edit: this truck regens at about 250 miles every time.

I would find it hard pressed to believe they(Texas) would be adding that to a safety inspection.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Well, today the soot grams hit 42 and then it set the P0420 code. The truck isn't showing any sign of trying to regen. Normally this truck will show signs that it's going into regen. I'm not seeing any increase in EGT's on any of the pyrometers and that is what happens right before the regen starts.

Any ideas why this is happening? The dealer doesn't want to mess with it.

I need the truck this weekend and it will be in reduced power by Monday.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
My cel on my 2016 Just came on this morning with the P0420 code. It’s at the dealer now. They are supposed to get to it until next Tuesday. Hopefully they can get to it quicker than that. Especially since I gave them the code and told him a used 3/4 of a tank of DEF fluid in 3000 miles

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, today the soot grams hit 42 and then it set the P0420 code. The truck isn't showing any sign of trying to regen. Normally this truck will show signs that it's going into regen. I'm not seeing any increase in EGT's on any of the pyrometers and that is what happens right before the regen starts.

Any ideas why this is happening? The dealer doesn't want to mess with it.

I need the truck this weekend and it will be in reduced power by Monday.

something is not telling the truck to go into regen. take it to another dealer but they HAVE to see this code and snap shot to start any diag, otherwise they will be driving your truck around for many miles to get the code to reset, so dont clear it. if the emission system is still under warranty, take it back in till its fixed. Otherwise, delete it and roll on like the tech told you. you dont have the tech 2 needed to really see what and why the emissions system is screwy.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
My cel on my 2016 Just came on this morning with the P0420 code. It’s at the dealer now. They are supposed to get to it until next Tuesday. Hopefully they can get to it quicker than that. Especially since I gave them the code and told him a used 3/4 of a tank of DEF fluid in 3000 miles

Good luck.... Rumor has it that some big dealerships around here will hint to customers that they should simply take it to a 3rd party shop and have it fixed "permanently"...... Mainly trucks getting close to, or already being out of warranty.

But you know how rumors are. ;)

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Well it’s at Karl’s. I typically have had the best experience with their service department. But my truck 42,000 miles on it. This is the first emissions issue I’ve had. I’m glad I didn’t pull the trigger a few months ago and tuse it. But hey if they want to still cover the rest of the powertrain warranty and let me get rid of the DEF I’m all for it

fc8464

Jun 26, 2012
Fairbanks, Alaska
Well according to the description and operation if it is setting P0420 it is trying to do a regen. Would be curious to see what all 4 EGT temps are reading during a forced regen. Could be a bad temp sensor, could also be clogged Indirect injector. One thing I don't think they monitor on the tech 2 is ash level. Our larger equipment monitors it and once it gets so high you have to remove the convertor and send it some where to get it cleaned. Others here probably have more experience on this. It was said earlier off road fuel is ULSD so the only difference is there is no tax, correct. Or is it different and could be causing ash build up killing the convertor. Good luck Fred

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
I’ve never ran off road fuel in this truck but as said by others. At this point there is no difference in off road and regular fuel. It’s all ulsd by now I would think. And if you do happen to still have lsd available to you.... if I still had my old truck I’d be envious. I would say it has a bad def injector given the amount fluid it used over the last 3000 miles

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
Good luck.... Rumor has it that some big dealerships around here will hint to customers that they should simply take it to a 3rd party shop and have it fixed "permanently"...... Mainly trucks getting close to, or already being out of warranty.

But you know how rumors are. ;)

Ended up replacing the urea injector. Going to pick it up here shortly. Can’t wait to have my truck back. They put me in a 17 1500 and I absolutely can’t stand this truck. The shift strategy is the most annoy I’ve ever driven. Along with not liking the 5.3