P0841 2004.5 LLY

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Hello,
This is my first post here so I am still getting aquatinted to the forum. I hope you all have had a good New Years!

I have a 2004.5 LLY with 278k, ECSB. It’s a stock tune truck with an Allison Retran, about 160k put in by the previous owner. To be honest, I think I have two issues going on with the truck. I have been dealing with poor top end power and low fuel mileage at highway speeds (13 unloaded).

A few days ago I was making a turn and my RPM’s free revved like the trans had slipped, so I pulled over with an immediate CEL. I noticed smoke coming from the hood. What I found was the lower line separated from the fitting on the trans cooler and I had Transynd all over the ground - no fluid on the stick. Truck ran for approx 30 seconds this way while pulling over. The code it threw was P0700.

A couple days later my FIL pulled the code for me and it is P0841 - “Transmission Pressure Sensor/Switch circuit ‘A’ Performance”.

We reconnected the line, it seemed seated, added 2 gal of Castrol Transyn 668, and changed the spin on. The magnet had a light gray coating on it, nothing out of the ordinary, fluid was nice and red. He said the fluid smelled burnt, but weirdly. Like it had a gear oil smell to it. Didn’t smell like fresh fluid to me but still had that… detergenty smell to it?

Took it for a test drive, shifted smooth, and the TC locked up. On the way back it blew the line again and when pulling over (drove it for a minute this way, it revved like it did before but slammed gears twice. Same issue as before.

Any ideas on why the line would have popped?

Is it possible I damaged my transmission with the hard shifts?

Would the solenoid code be caused by low fluid, or is it faulty? Before the second drive the code didn’t want to clear out, but he did test the solenoid operations with his scanner and they seemed to function (A, B, C, and D circuits).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
This might help

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
This might help

Thank you for that. Sounds like I need to check the pressure switch. I’ve been in a valve body before, but not very technically as far as testing goes. I’ll probably have more questions.

Unlike the truck in the thread, mine does (was) shifting through all the gears and driving. Hopefully it is just the pressure switch, as that’s the only codes I have gotten. I’ll tear into it and see what is to report.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Make sure the clip inside the cooler fitting isn't bent and is installed correctly. Take a look at the bevel on the line itself too, probably not the cause but wise to check

Reactions: 2004LB7

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Make sure the clip inside the cooler fitting isn't bent and is installed correctly. Take a look at the bevel on the line itself too, probably not the cause but wise to check
Im not sure what the end of the cooler line is supposed to look like, but the bevel seems pretty rounded. I went ahead and ordered a GM line and a Hayden fitting. Could I use the oring and clip from new fitting in my current GM fitting? I like to use OEM parts but Rock Auto didn’t have the fitting listed.

Do you think if I filled the trans that pressure switch code would go away? Or would it be recommended to pull the pan before I fill it?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Im not sure what the end of the cooler line is supposed to look like, but the bevel seems pretty rounded. I went ahead and ordered a GM line and a Hayden fitting. Could I use the oring and clip from new fitting in my current GM fitting? I like to use OEM parts but Rock Auto didn’t have the fitting listed.

Do you think if I filled the trans that pressure switch code would go away? Or would it be recommended to pull the pan before I fill it?
The backside should be fairly straight cut so the ring won't slip over it. There should be a bevel on the front side that allows the clip to jump over and lock in while the line is pushed into the fitting. You shouldn't have any issue using a new clip and oring on the old fitting

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
As far as the code, it probably set because the shift didn't complete and trip the switch. Just fill it back up and clear the code, go from there if it's still problematic

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
The backside should be fairly straight cut so the ring won't slip over it. There should be a bevel on the front side that allows the clip to jump over and lock in while the line is pushed into the fitting. You shouldn't have any issue using a new clip and oring on the old fitting
That definitely could be the issue there. I wonder if the top line is in the same condition… cool, I will swap those items when parts arrive and will report back.

As far as the code, it probably set because the shift didn't complete and trip the switch. Just fill it back up and clear the code, go from there if it's still problematic

Hmm… it does shift soft sometimes. I thought that was a good thing because I’ve always been told “Allisons are a great transmission”, which I believe they are but I was educated that the firmer shift the better it is for the transmission. Would you happen to know if the transmission still completes its shifts when this switch is bad? It would go through all the gears, and lock up.

Trgglynn

Jan 5, 2024
Portland, OR
Ah.

Here’s an update:
Replaced lower radiator line. Fitting I ordered has the wrong thread size going into the radiator, but I swapped the oring and clips and that resolved my fuel line issue - so far so good. Filled the transmission up and it seems to be driving fine with no codes. I guess it didn’t like being completely empty on fluid. Took about 11 qts. Probably still 3/4 qt low but with all the freezing here in Oregon the trans temp hasn’t gotten above 130° to do a proper hot check.

Thanks for all the advice!