P0540 after full EGR delete

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale FL/Switzerland
Had the EGR deleted before and the related codes were turned off in the tune. Now I decided to fully delete the EGR, a few days later the cel came on with the Code P0540 grid heater. Could this be related to the missing EGR valve?

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
You have 3 seperate codes for a full EGR delete you need to have turned off and tuned out. 1 being for the grid heater up on the top side, another being on the bottom where the intercooler pipe connects to the air tube where the butterfly valve is, and the 3rd the EGR it self. Hope this helps!

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
That code is caused only by the grid heater being deleted. I know I have had the same code for about two years now. Tried getting help from my tuner and I still have it. Going with a different tuner after I get my compounds done.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
There might be a fault in the wiring harness or the grid heater itself. Did you tune it yourself?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
No Rob at Atp did, but that was before I deleted the EGR completly. I had only the bocker plate back then.
Just wanted to make sure its not related, before I waste time to check the grid and wiring...

I hear ya. I even tried plugging the heater in. Setting it on a thin piece of plastic on the valve cover and started my truck. To see if the light would go out, after I reset the code with the heater plugged in. Yeah didn't get that far. As soon as I turned the ignition on. I heard a pop and sizzle. Shut off the ignition and ran over to that side of the engine compartment to see what happened. The entire grid was energized, arced and melted the all of the plastic on the heater. Including the female end of the connector.

What a shit show that was. I contacted my tuner. He told me to try and load my tunes a different way and still no luck. I said f@ck it and put a piece of tape over the light in the instrument cluster.

Hopefully it will be something simple for you.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
If your grid heater is still in tact and the power plug is still into it then that should not be what is throwing your code. Below the grid heater if you follow the tube down there was a butterfly valve there that may or may not been removed when your egr was deleted. Mine was and threw a code in which I got my tuner to take care of. Should be a simple fix and ATP as big as they are should be able to take care of that. But good luck...

Swisstyphoon

Jan 2, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale FL/Switzerland
I think I know where the problem is. Since I installed the y-bridge with silicone and the braket from the cold pipe is not laying on the egr assembly anymore, there is most likely a poor ground now. Will fix it this weekend...

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Just an FYI, all Bosch Ecms have a weird DTC List and Diagnostic Protocol.

Even when set to NOT REPORTED !!!

On 99% of all LBZ or LMM when you disable the EGR and the IAH they will still always soft code for a P0405 and a P0540 which will not set a MIL Lamp but will always show up as a "HISTORY" code.

They will not show as a "PENDING" or "CURRENT" when scanning