P0335 Crank Sensor

Aug 4, 2023
KatieCamaro0012$5
I am working on a 2005 Kodiak with a 6.6 LLY, with a P0335, I was hired to install the engine that had been removed for overhaul 2 years prier. After installing the engine I had a Fuel Rail Pressure code and after I replaced the connector the code went away and I am reading pressure like normal. there was no P0335 at this time only after i had fixed this issue the p0335 showed up

I checked the supplied voltage and have 11.6 at the connector. when I check the ground I get perfect ohms, However when I key up the processor it changes to 5K ohms. I went through the entire truck checking grounds, cleaning paint off and dirt. Making sure that I did not miss any ground. checked all of the grounds at the PCM and found to be 5.0-6.0 ohms. checked all fuses and found good,

I can clear all codes and the P0335 will clear, however as soon as you turn over the engine the code will set and the engine will only crank for 2 seconds. I did not rebuild this engine, and the tone ring is solid inside the crank sensor hole. the tone ring is right down the middle of the crank sensor hole as well.

can the tone ring be installed backwards? has anyone came across something like this. need your help thank you.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Can you run a supplemental ground to that ground wire that is showing high resistance with the ECM powered up to see if the code goes away and everything works as expected? If it does then that should rule out the reluctor wheel and sensor

Reactions: Ron Nielson
Aug 4, 2023
KatieCamaro0012$5
Can you run a supplemental ground to that ground wire that is showing high resistance with the ECM powered up to see if the code goes away and everything works as expected? If it does then that should rule out the reluctor wheel and sensor
I added a ground and the code came back. Note: i did have crank signal when the fuel rail pressure sensor was have its problems.

Aug 4, 2023
KatieCamaro0012$5
That's a depleted battery. About 20% charged. Put it on a charger overnight. Of course, that high resistance may be at play here.
Okay checked voltage at batteries 12.4, however I’m only getting 11.6 at the crank sensor, checked the earth grounds at the front of the engine 0.0 ohms, on both. Checked resistance through sensor at 4590 ohms. Does that sound right? Compared it with cam sensor and found to be about the same. Pulled sensor and checked relucter not loose, or bent

Aug 4, 2023
KatieCamaro0012$5
Okay checked voltage at batteries 12.4, however I’m only getting 11.6 at the crank sensor, checked the earth grounds at the front of the engine 0.0 ohms, on both. Checked resistance through sensor at 4590 ohms. Does that sound right? Compared it with cam sensor and found to be about the same. Pulled sensor and checked relucter not loose, or bent
Used a jump box got the volts at sensor to 13.3, no signal no start.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Wiring diagram indicates you should get ECM voltage, unless there is high resistance, maybe some other reason. I don't know that this should cause problems, however. Maybe others will have more info.

Attachments

• Crank sensor LLY.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 2004LB7