LBZ: P0116

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
I've got a 2007 Classic LBZ that keeps throwing a P0116 DTC and turning on the MIL.

It came on the other day when I went to start it and the glow plug light never went out. After about 30 sec of waiting I went ahead and started it and the MIL came on, glow plug light went out when it started. Checked codes and saw the P0116. Cleared it and I drove around a little while and then went to start it later and the code and MIL came back. I haven't been driving the truck but once every week or 2 for the past couple months, so the batteries were getting kind of weak and hard starting as the temps started to drop this fall. I've been driving it more now and the batteries are staying good and charged, but the code keeps coming back. The glow plug light doesn't seem to ever want to go out before starting when cold. It doesn't come on after it is already warmed up and I go back to start it up.

I saw that the code is for ECT sensor performance, my gauge temp seems to fluctuate around 185 like normal and I watched it on my autocal also and the sensor appears to be working. I haven't done anything to the truck recently and it seems to be running like normal. Just tired of looking at the MIL.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Its an engine coolant temp code. I don't know what else could cause the issue, if the sensor isn't too expensive id put one in. You'd at least eliminate that as a problem.

draftee

Nov 23, 2006
Maryland
I've got a 2007 Classic LBZ that keeps throwing a P0116 DTC and turning on the MIL.

It came on the other day when I went to start it and the glow plug light never went out. After about 30 sec of waiting I went ahead and started it and the MIL came on, glow plug light went out when it started. Checked codes and saw the P0116. Cleared it and I drove around a little while and then went to start it later and the code and MIL came back. I haven't been driving the truck but once every week or 2 for the past couple months, so the batteries were getting kind of weak and hard starting as the temps started to drop this fall. I've been driving it more now and the batteries are staying good and charged, but the code keeps coming back. The glow plug light doesn't seem to ever want to go out before starting when cold. It doesn't come on after it is already warmed up and I go back to start it up.

I saw that the code is for ECT sensor performance, my gauge temp seems to fluctuate around 185 like normal and I watched it on my autocal also and the sensor appears to be working. I haven't done anything to the truck recently and it seems to be running like normal. Just tired of looking at the MIL.

Been down this road. V2 gave me a P0116 code. Long story short, V2 was wrong. Replaced glow plug and all is good now.

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
What reading does the truck use to determine if the glow plugs need to be on? What actually makes the wait to start light come on?

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
Anybody on what actually tells the truck that the glow plugs need to come on? I'm guessing it is either the engine coolant temp sensor or intake air temp sensor 1 or 2?