Help: P0088 Code, Truck sounds like a PowerStroke, 180,000Kpa Rail Pres.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
we are having the exact same issue with a lbz. for some reason ppe is having problems with there controllers. i would contact dan. we actually got 3 bad controllers in a row!

Yea I talked to dan.

Gotta pull the belt and see if that changes anything.

Its wierd, if I let it set awhile it runs fine for a bit. Then it comes back. I disconected my lift pump and it ran good longer, just when I started it it chugged a bunch of white smoke, then started running good.

think I have it narrowed to bad stock cp3 regulator or controller.

Any other syntoms you had?

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
all the same, we took the air dog off, still there. took the belt off and plugged the stock cp3 pump into the stock harness and worked great. josh called dan and dan had him modify the harness and it worked but the truck only would pull 20k of rail pressure with both pumps. dan sent a total of three control boxes and all bad, he then sent a modified version just like what we did and it worked but only 20k rail pressure. so we are waiting to find out. dan told us they had a bad batch of boxes. also we swapped both regulators with known good ones on both pumps with no change. i will keep ypu posted though.

vortecfcar

No longer a member
Jun 28, 2007
Mike,

Have you logged fuel pressure regulator current when this malfunction occurs? It should help you narrow down the gremlin to the box, if that's the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Nick

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Mike,

Have you logged fuel pressure regulator current when this malfunction occurs? It should help you narrow down the gremlin to the box, if that's the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Commanded is 16.384 amps (which I think is max)
Desired is the same number, but when the truck runs fine, the Desired is like .5 amps, and commanded is still 16.384.

Tommys truck was 16.384 commanded, and .3 amps Desired.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
OK...

I unhooked lift pump and drove all over, kept getting p0087 low pressure now but thats good cause I know the lift pump was restricting it. I bypassed the fuel lines around the lift pump and have to test if it gets high pressure now.

It still chuggs and luggs up and puffs a good plume of white smoke, then smooths out. at start up if you give it throttle right away after starting.

I am thinking its the stock cp3 regulator. My thought is the psi from the lift pump is wearing it out....???? Yes/No????

I have to go get a new set of meter leads and tomorrow I will test each regulator.

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
Mike, is this similar to when I got into it and put it into gear to fast? I remember it having the same symptoms then but went away in a couple of seconds.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
OK Update:

I bypassed the fule lines around my lift pump.

Drove around quite a bit tonight. The only time Id have the condition is at start up and then it would thro wht code, I would clear it, then it ran like crap, smoked then seemed to clear up an run fine.

stock location FPR?????

Who want to change it for me :D