p0087

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
It is -8* F with the wind chill -15* and I let the truck warm up before leaving work, got down the road not even half a mile and the check engine light came on. Got home and hooked the PPE up to it and scanned for codes and the P0087
came up. I just filled up with fuel yesterday at a truck stop and put one of the 8oz. bottles of stanadyne performance formula in the tank before filling. The fuel filter has about 11k on it, I know, I will change it after I few hours of sleep,
is it likely the filter?

DmaxHawk

Ranch with my Salad
Oct 28, 2008
the 575
the 0087 is for low fuel rail pressure. It could be the filter, change it and keep us posted.
Couldve gotten something in the fuel.

Does it drive differently?

clayt171

He's watching you
Aug 21, 2008
I O Way
Had this last winter. While you have some miles on the filter more than likely you are gelling a bit. I had a station that I had to stop using because even though I added Power Service it would still gel up below zero. Changed stations and its been good since. Till this morning. About -30 last night. -18 when I started it. Ran ok till high idle. Then started surging like it was loosing fuel. Will have to add more anti-gel.

Last edited:

jb23

May 5, 2008
ILL
I had the same thing POO87 and others changed where I get fuel no more codes no surging no limps. Run your tank down get some different fuel good luck

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
classic case of bullshit midwest fuel. I'd say change your filter, change where you get fuel if you can, and put in a whole lot of additive. I've already been through this once this year the last time it got to -10. I'm hoping to be good this time because I've been running a lot of power service in the fuel. I went plowing last night and let my truck sit in a parking lot for 9 hours and when I went to start it it fired right up. I had -17 on the trucks thermometer on the way home so hopefully I'll be ok

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
OK I changed the filter reset the code and started the truck, let the truck warm up and took it into town for a test drive, it popped the P0087 again. Should I get some power service 911 and put it in the tank? I run stanadyne performance formula in almost every tank including this one. I filled up from a different truck stop than I normally do.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
its definately the filter. Probably ice. You need to put FPPF meltdown or power service 911 in the tank. Must have got a bad tank of fuel. good luck

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
is the stanodyne an anti-gel anti-ice? ws the fuel you put in winterized fuel or straight #2, that makes a difference on how much additive you need to put in. Even winterized fuel need alot of treatment especially if it is a bio blend.

Mar 27, 2008
Sheridan, IN.
is the stanodyne an anti-gel anti-ice? ws the fuel you put in winterized fuel or straight #2, that makes a difference on how much additive you need to put in. Even winterized fuel need alot of treatment especially if it is a bio blend.

I doubt it, it was from a truck stop, but I don't know for sure.

Will it hurt to add Power Service 911

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It's worth a shot. And it shouldn't cause any damage to your truck.

Only other options you have is to wait for it to warm up or drain the fuel and get some good winter diesel in there.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
Most truck stop fuel is straight #2 unless it states on the pump winterized. Most truck stops have a straight #1 pump somewhere. Take your filter off, drain all the fuel and fill it with 911 or melt down. Put another quart in the tank. Fuel additivies will not blend with cold fuel so it needs to be 911 or melt down. Let the stuff in the filter set for a few minutes and make sure it is primed and try to fire. You may have to do this a few times until you start to build engine heat. 911 and melt down are no "good" for your engine but shouldn't hurt it. Plus it is your olny option.

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
add a ton on 911 in and let it sit. Stop using whatever addative your using and switch to power service I've gelled once and since I've used it I have yet to gell (knock on wood) and it's about -20 today when I was driving to work and -30 with the wind chill. Works awsome.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
911 in the tank is not gonna help the filter. empty the filter and refill with 911 and let sit for 15 min. put at least another qt in tank. probably wont need more than 2 qt specially in a 25 gal tank.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
power service doesn't work unless you atleast double the recommended rate. I switched from power service to polar power 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since and I run 8 semi's year round.

dmax687

Founder Team TCS...
Sep 26, 2008
Wheaton IL
He already stated that he replaced the fuel filter in a earlier post. I've poured whole bottles in before just to be safe. It's pretty hard to mess up diesel fuel with addative. What you can also do in the future is when you install the fuel filter fill it with 911 first then install it and then bleed and start the truck so that it will mix with the incomming diesel immediately.

I'm just talking about personal experience. There are obviously more than one type of addative that will work. I'm just saying what has worked well for me in the past.

Last edited:

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
Just so you cold weather guys & gals know there is also a new product from Amsoil call Diesel Recovery that is the same as 911. It is designed to get you going if you gel up. Just pour it into the filter and the rest into your tank to get going again.