Opinions on motor build

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Gonna pull this back up. Getting ready to pull the motor. Have a 12mm pump and 100's, with the 68/480 to go back in. Socal 3388 AF cam, Callie's crank, Carillo rods. Have socal pushrods, springs, and injector hold downs. I would think the setup should be good for 900+ hp. My biggest question before I send it to machine....would you all run the race cast pistons in a setup like this or swap to forged? Truck isn't a DD it only has 55k on it, prob gets 5k a year out on it. Another is the shop is telling me to not run a girdle but run billet mains.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Gonna pull this back up. Getting ready to pull the motor. Have a 12mm pump and 100's, with the 68/480 to go back in. Socal 3388 AF cam, Callie's crank, Carillo rods. Have socal pushrods, springs, and injector hold downs. I would think the setup should be good for 900+ hp. My biggest question before I send it to machine....would you all run the race cast pistons in a setup like this or swap to forged? Truck isn't a DD it only has 55k on it, prob gets 5k a year out on it. Another is the shop is telling me to not run a girdle but run billet mains.
900+ out of a 480 is pushing the crap out of it in compounds from my experience. Great running setup no doubt but that’s a tall order on fuel only.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
900+ out of a 480 is pushing the crap out of it in compounds from my experience. Great running setup no doubt but that’s a tall order on fuel only.
That is what I'm going to start with since I have it, after it's up and running gonna jump to a 485 or 488 but keep the same fuel and injectors.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I have a set of cast motorsports pistons I will sell. Brand new std bore with rings. Or trade for a set of forged pistons. I figured I ask but the more I think about it the more it crosses my mind to go forged. I have a feeling if I don't I'll regret it if I push the power up. Enough is never enough in the diesel game 😂