Old fuel additive

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
This is an off-the-wall question...

My grandfather found a sealed case of some old fuel additive that he had from the early '80's (I believe).

The cans are metal and sealed (need a can opener). I don't think I can run it, based on the complexity of the CR system.
I was just curious if someone that had more experience with additives and petroleum than myself, if they would run it? I'll have to grab a can and see if it lists the ingredients.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
At a really low rate of dilution, I don't see how I could hurt. I mean, have you seen what some are putting in their tanks and running? If the insides of the cans are clean, no rust, sediment, etc, I think it would be okay.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Thanks for the input.

That's a good point, I guess it can't be any worse than the used oil some run.

It's wishful thinking, but I was sort of hoping that it would get me back to the fuel of yesterday...not the crap we have available today.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
I just looked at the can he gave me.

It was manufactured by Siloo in NJ. The black and yellow can claims it's the nation's #1 diesel fuel additive.
It says it does not contain sulfur, will improve combustibility, does not affect cetane rating, cleans injectors, prevents rust...icicles out the exhaust :D, etc.

All it says for ingredients is "contains petroleum distillates". 1 Quart treats 150 gallons...but it says for existing conditions use 1 quart/25gal.

vern

May 25, 2008
PA
Put that stuff in a glass case,never know when you might need icicles :rofl:

vern

May 25, 2008
PA
From the crc website:
CRC’s first brand of diesel
fuel additives was Siloo®
Heavy Duty.
Founded in 1935, SILOO