Oil pumps

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Is the melting oil pump pretty good? What direction does the nut thread on? Anyone needing to pin them? The SoCal pump is way more money then I want to spend and I see you need a regulator to use it too that's sold separately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I'm running reverse thread melling m316 pump. I had mine keyed also. I make 35 psi at idle hot and 70 psi cold. 1000 rpm bumps up to 55 psi. Cruising is about 70 psi.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I've seen someone spin the oil pump gear on the shaft. It was lock tighted and torqued to spec. In my opinion and peace of mind have it keyed.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've seen someone spin the oil pump gear on the shaft. It was lock tighted and torqued to spec. In my opinion and peace of mind have it keyed.

Do you know if it just spun when hot or always? Mine is tight still. If I turn the driven gear on the pump, the engine wants to turn. So cold atleast it is holding. Will look more at it when I get off work. I hope a piston squirter loosened up for best Scenario. Otherwise will pull mains and check those and look though to cam. Reused cam bearings. Hope they didn't spin.

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
The gear spun on the shaft. It dropped oil pressure. The cover was pulled to investigate. There is a lot that can play into pressures.
Compound turbos (resulting in more oil feed lines)
Loose clearances on mains or rods
Over sized aquirters, but aquirters are not supposed to open till around 25 or so psi
A loose oil squirter

I'm sure I may have missed something..

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Found the problem.
497c372f812958f9cf7d2ddd0d8bfadb.jpg

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Good deal Ben, that is definitely best case senario right there! Go over everything to make sure you didn't leave anything else loose that may get you in trouble later. You got a hell of a good running motor that likes to make power!:hug:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
That mess up was the machine shop. My only one was the header gasket. But that was the "easy outside stuff" (so beer time), so that's really to blame not me lol. But I will continue to do business with said machine shop. That's just human error, but his tooling and experience is hard to find. I'm just thankful that it happened on a dyno. If that happened while pulling that son of a bitch woulda been pinned and I never woulda saw it on the gauge. In the end I'm so relieved I don't have to completely disassemble this thing ago! Are the lb7 the same p/n squirter as the lbz? I have a block sitting here with good clean squirter a in it.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
All things considered, best case scenario!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well it appears both lbz and lb7 squirter a relieve at 29 psi, so aslong as the point the same direction and length they seem to be the same part. Or interchangeable atleast