Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I too see higher oil temps with a bigger tune while crusing. Granted it's 105*+ outside here, only cool part of the day is 5-7am :D

I see 195* oil temps cruising in the summer, freeway can get up to 215ish*, but coolant remains sub 200*

Pretty much identical to what my lbz is running with the twins. 210 is the highest oil temp i have seen so far and it was 90 outside with a ton of humidity:rolleyes:

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
Just did a tuner test today on a short 3 mile hill (about a 4% grade on the fwy) to see how exactly the effects are on oil temps with a little higher power and a 13K GVW load. I've noticed that the oil temps constantly run higher cruising the hwy than in any stop and so or slow speed traffic. First, it was 85*F outside temps. I had the A/C on for both tests. First the stock tune test. The ECTs were 175*F and the EOT was at 181*F and I held the speed limit up the hill and the EOT rose to 190*F and the ECT stayed at 175*F. I returned and then switched to a next tune that is verified at 102+hp over stock and run up the hill. the ECT were at 172*F and the EOTs were at 179*F (lower from running back down the hill). was doing the speed limit up it and then gunned it like I was passing someone. I was doing 80mph at the top and ECTs were at 175*F BUT my EOTs were at 216*F and climbing fast! It took 15 mins of easy driving on flat ground to get it back under 200*F! This just goes to demonstrate what happens when towing on a high HP tune and using some extra hp and what happens to the oil temps. This was a very short hill with a low rise to it at 5750 elv. The heat of ign under cruising and the temps the pistons and the turbo center section shed are far harder than stop and go or slow driving situations. Hope this helps some.

is it more egt related? once my egts get sustained higher, my eot goes up, even though my motor is not at full song. at slower speeds the egt doesnt get high enough long enough

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
is it more egt related? once my egts get sustained higher, my eot goes up, even though my motor is not at full song. at slower speeds the egt doesnt get high enough long enough

Yes, and the motor is working harder and friction is higher. The oil is cooling the pistons themselves as well as the cylinder walls and everything in the heads including the valve stems. There is a lot of heat being generated during the combustion cycle that the oil is removing. Your turbo is also getting heat soaked and the oil is cooling and lubing the center section and ALL of this oil is going straight back into the pan.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
IMO, higher EOT is more directly related to higher engine RPM. IMHO, not related to EGT's; while towing.

but i can make my oil temp rise 15 degrees with the cruise set...in my case i will agree to disagree

Yes, and the motor is working harder and friction is higher. The oil is cooling the pistons themselves as well as the cylinder walls and everything in the heads including the valve stems. There is a lot of heat being generated during the combustion cycle that the oil is removing. Your turbo is also getting heat soaked and the oil is cooling and lubing the center section and ALL of this oil is going straight back into the pan.

this is the exact thing i had in my head, you just can type it better. no longer is oil just a lube

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Finished my temp gauge on thursday and here are my results from today.
No cooler and empty.
Outside temps 98 F.
Highway cruseing 212. Did not seem to change from my lowest tune which is my tow tune to my #3 tune.
City driveing 199-202.
Parlys Canyon 98 at the bottom to 89 at the top and 4500' - 7400' not sure on the grade.
I held 75mph at about 1800 rpm and 10-15 psi boost.
Oil is Delo 15 40.

Smallest tune/tow tune.
EGT-1055.
ECT- Bottom 192 Top 203.
Trans- A tick under 200.
EOT- Bottom 212 Top 234.
EOP- Bottom 42 Top 36.

#3 Tune.
EGT-1089
ECT- Bottom 192 Top 197.
Trans-Same
EOT- Bottom 212 Top 232.
EOP- Same.

I was surprised that it dropped a little on the bigger tune.
I should be towing the livein trailer or the boat this weekend so I should be reporting back with some loaded temps.
?s
Whats too low of oil pressure while towing?
Dose the squirters shut off at 29 psi?
That would be bad kitty while towing right?

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
That's good info Tim. Thanks. Another unloaded one folks. This is holding speed and not charging, right Tim? What oil are you running as well?
Like I've been stating. When hauling, there will be plenty to get an eye full of if you have an oil temp gauge. This is not a case of "out of site, out of mind" stuff either.

You should have 10psi per 1k RPM to play it safe. This is a general rule of thumb only. I have seen lower at the journal when the oil is at 240*F+. This was before the cooler. I also noticed when it get to this temp and above, the oil pressure gauge stops moving up at all from 1600 RPM all the way up and past 4K RPM.

The oil squirters seem to have a hard time up to that pressure with cold oil. By when it's hot, it seem to blast out of there pretty good at lower pressure. Maybe the oil temp effects the spring and it's operating temp? Don't know.

It was 99*F outside here today, and in the city driving I saw 215*F max with the 13K load on rolling hills with LOTS of stop and go quick and stop crap. Fwy I'm usually around 175*F-205*F with the 13K load on these higher temp days. Not using the sprayer either (I use it on the hard hwy hill climbs only so far) with fast lane driving.

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
IMO, higher EOT is more directly related to higher engine RPM. IMHO, not related to EGT's; while towing.

I wasn't sure about this Brian till I went down the mountain during a test and was running from 3.5-4K RPM holding the load back. My oil temp went to 144*F in one test. The rest of them it wasn't quite as cool, but would constantly be around 165*F or less to my surprise. I also know my EGTs are also way way low when coasting (no heat being generated) and it hit me that the fact of the pistons (oil drenching the bottom of it and wicking the heat away) and turbo are throwing the majority of the heat out at this point no matter what the RPM.

Wonder if any oil could be vaporizing in the center section of the turbo when it's good and heat soaked and the oil is just dumping through it? If any is, I'm sure it's higher with journal bearing turbos.

Still need some one to mount a EGT gauge in the oil return line of a turbo and test this. A side mounted twin or triple would be easier to test in this case. If 1250*F EGT was maintained for a bit and data collected from this, it would be VERY informative.

Last edited:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Ok took the boat up today and what a diff it made.
I think the dry weight of the boat is 4200# and add 80gal of fuel 15gal of water trailer and all of our fishing crap.
Outside temps 100 degF.
Highway cruseing Ect 197-200 EOT 220-232.
Same canyon and 100 at the bottom and 90 at the top.
Held it at 75mph around 1800rpm and 30-35 psi of boost.
Oil is Delo 15 40

Tow tune.
EGT-1220.
ECT- Bottom 203 Top 240.
Trans-Bottom tick under 200 Top tickover 200.
EOT- Bottom 225 Top 283.
EOP- Bottom 38 Top 25.

Picked up some Shaffers sup 7000 15 40 and will change my oil tomorrow and do some more testing next week.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Ok took the boat up today and what a diff it made.
I think the dry weight of the boat is 4200# and add 80gal of fuel 15gal of water trailer and all of our fishing crap.
Outside temps 100 degF.
Highway cruseing Ect 197-200 EOT 220-232.
Same canyon and 100 at the bottom and 90 at the top.
Held it at 75mph around 1800rpm and 30-35 psi of boost.
Oil is Delo 15 40

Tow tune.
EGT-1220.
ECT- Bottom 203 Top 240.
Trans-Bottom tick under 200 Top tickover 200.
EOT- Bottom 225 Top 283. :eek: :eek: :eek:
EOP- Bottom 38 Top 25.

Picked up some Shaffers sup 7000 15 40 and will change my oil tomorrow and do some more testing next week.

Good move on the Schaeffer oil with those temps. EEK! A 58*F increase in oil temp and a 52% loss of oil pressure. HOLY BUCKETS! Everyone paying attention?

Last edited:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Well changed the oil this morning and didnt have anything better to do so I went for a ride.
Same canyon temps at the bottom were 90 and 86 at the top.
#3 tune and all the temps were the same as my first unloaded run.
The one thing that did change was the EOP 54 at the bottom and 47 at the top.
I will get some more miles on it and see if anything changes.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Well just hauled the camper over Eisenhower this weekend. Unfortunately we had those huge rain storms so no good testing results. Highest outdoor temp was only like 75° and it dropped all the way down to 50° by the time I reached my destination in Kremmling, CO. Highest oil temp was about 235°. I even pushed the truck hard running up the backside of Eisenhower coming back. Temps barely hit 230° before the tunnel.

Maybe next trip it'll be a bit hotter :thumb:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
I have around 800 miles on the Shaeffers now so I made a run up parleys canyon after work today.
Truck was unloaded.
Shaeffers Sup 7000 15 40.
Holding 75mph at 10-15 psi of boost.
Outside temps- Bottom 101 Top 89

#3 Tune.
EGT-1089
ECT- Bottom 194 Top 199.
Trans-A tick under 200
EOT- Bottom 214 Top 236.
EOP- Bottom 47-48 Top 39.

So far I have not seen any diff between the delo and the Shaeffers except the oil psi is a little better although in my first test with the delo it had around 6000 miles on it.
I have all the stuff for my oil cooler now but I will hold off another week or so to see if more miles affects it but im not expecting much.

DougSmith

That run up the canyon was the best thing to do. Next time you do that there will be a difference.
It takes heat, and pressure to fully plate the moly to all the metal sufaces inside the engine.

As a further note, the numbers on the Schaeffer's will be very close at 15,000 miles as it is now. The Delo wont make it 15,000 miles and be anywhere near what it was new.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
So, is there a specific kit already put together for us diesel garage hero's, or do you have to find all the parts and make something work?
I like cool oil.
Look at some modern semi trucks. A western star i peeked at, had an oil cooling system almost as big as the radiator(not really, it was the size of the rad in my lbz tho), the bypass filter system is just stupid too.
Tells me that dedicated tow or performance rig should have that chit too, in an equal proportion.