oil bypass

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
What do you want to know? I can tell you that the stock filter on the truck is good to about 25mic for getting out the problem particles (to big to really get in between the bearings). A bypass will get out the particles down to 2mic on first pass (more with more passes). Here's the problem. The particles under 20mic is the stuff that gets between the bearings and cylinder walls and causes all the harsh wear. This is the killer. Even GM did a test on it and found that getting the mic particles out down to this level kept the motors running tight 7 times longer. As well as it kept the need for oil changes WAY down. I've seen many running over 200K with the same oil (UOA are needed every 25 to 30K though for safety). The only thing that has been prove to wear out oil is excessive contamination from poor filtering and more importantly over temping it. This is the most over looked area of our trucks for protection. The oil COOLS the entire lower end of the truck as well as lubes the entire moving assembly inside.

Last edited:

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
theres probably a good amount of oil bypassing the filter during warmup when the oil is thick and cold

Last edited:

MWDHAND

May 10, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Well I have the AMSOIL bypass on my unit and when it is really cold out it will shoot oil out the seal on the primary filter on the unit (I have it put on the frame besides the torsion bar) when it idles. I have been thinking of getting rid of it for this reason cause it will keep pushing the oil out until it has ran for about a min or so. That has been the big issue with mine. You should see my drive way dammit! LOL

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The internal dia. of the fittings for the Amsoil are small for what we are pumping (ID of the fittings the hoses connect to). It diverts ALL the oil through it in which the internal dia of the fittings should be no smaller than about .550 (cutting it close and .600 being better, or 3/4" ID hose for the ID of the fittings to flow the correct amount) to get full flow at the higher rpms of what the pump flows. This increases velocity through the system at the same pressure. When doing this, it is better to have a recessed oil seal seat (like the Allison has for it's filter). You can have this done at most machine shops. I believe the side oiler is the way to go for full flow and no compromises. This is what my Purifier uses. It takes a small sample from the oil galley and sends it to the small mic filter then returns through the filler neck (side not the fill cap). Amsoil was on target with what they did, but they should have set it up different. I read the stock oil bypass in the filter was set up at 64psi. Not sure though. Never tested it. I shimmed the one in my oil pump.