Oil and Filters

MGKelly

Jan 13, 2023
Oregon
New to Duramax, have a 2022 HD 2500 crewcab and wonder what the Forum suggest for Oil, Filters and miles between changes for oil and fuel filters.
My last new PU was a 1987 F350 single cab. I always used Delo 15-40, Napa Filters and changed at 2500 to 3000 miles.
Also wondering about buying Filters off of the internet. There are a lot of different prices out there.
A lot has changed since 1987 so looking for input.

Reactions: Mickey D

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
Your fixing to get a lot of opinions on this. Lol. I used to run Baldwin filters and then moved to a Donaldson. Both are probably overkill. I change every 10k and as far as oil I use any 15w-40 synthetic.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've come around to my brother's way of looking at things for filters: any brand of filter will capture the little bit of dust and debris that gets in during an oil change and normal operation. Beyond that, if you need your oil filtered, you've got major engine problems, and the best filter in the world won't help you.

That said, I generally use ACDelco (factory) filters because they're pretty cheap, but have run Fram, Wix, and K&N filters when they are on sale or the store is out of ACDelco.

For oil, anything meeting the spec will work. I run Delo 400 15W-40 because I bought a 55 gallon drum of it. A full synthetic will handle the heat better, but for a stock engine you don't really need it. Heck, even my built motor still uses Delo 400, I just change it every 5000 miles instead of the stock ~10k the oil life monitor targets.

If you really want to know how a given oil holds up and if your engine is happy with it, send a sample out for analysis. I use Blackstone personally. They'll tell you if you can run the oil longer than the factory interval. My Suburban (stock LB7) is happy with 12k mile changes, but my truck with the built motor runt the oil hot and they recommended shorter changes. I could probably run synthetic and get more miles, but I already have all this Delo 400...

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I use acdelco filters for my Dmax, usually off Amazon. Mobile delvac 15-40 as that’s what they come with off the assembly line. Why? I use to say it was for warranty reasons should something go out in the engine. Now I have no reason. I’ll probably switch to cenpeco once I get shelf space opened up. Love their oil

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Thanks for the info, do you ever buy filters off the internet?
I buy a filter supply for all my vehicles from RockAuto every year. Wix is my go to, usually can get the xp version for only a dollar more.

As for oil, I've ran all the major brands through my truck and never heard or saw a difference in mpg. I run Delvac 99% of the time, but am also a fan of Premium Blue. I've seen what that oil can take and still keep a flat tappet cummins cam alive.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Current fill on my '07 LBZ, Schaeffer's 9012 10w30 Full-syn with an Amsoil filter