"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Had a local trusted shop do my last oil change due to being to busy. After about 1000 miles I noticed the "typewriter tick" was really bad. It was driving me nuts and a few fellow employees asked why it was doing this. Called the shop and sure enough they used the Shell Rotella. Fast forward 6500 miles and I personally changed the oil to the Delo 400. Within 300 miles the truck was nice and quiet again.
Also did a Blackstone oil sample. Engine has 195k on it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
The truck used to be a secondary vehicle and I would put only 11-12K on it a year. Now it's my primary and I drive it for my job. I put 20K on in a year.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
2002 LB7:
Did an oil analysis of my 2002 LB7 awhile back and finally got around to checking the results (somehow the email got sent to spam so I never saw it). This is 5700mi on AmsOil 15W40 Heavy Duty Diesel Marine. I'll be testing again tomorrow at 7500mi to see what's going on.

2005 LLY:
Did nothing to it other than look at it today and feel disappointed that its still broken and sitting on the trailer in defeat.

Attachments

• Oil_Analysis_1_LB7.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 17

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Had a local trusted shop do my last oil change due to being to busy. After about 1000 miles I noticed the "typewriter tick" was really bad. It was driving me nuts and a few fellow employees asked why it was doing this. Called the shop and sure enough they used the Shell Rotella. Fast forward 6500 miles and I personally changed the oil to the Delo 400. Within 300 miles the truck was nice and quiet again.
Also did a Blackstone oil sample. Engine has 195k on it.

That's funny when I switched to T6 rotella after using delo 400 my typewriter went away almost completely.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
That's funny when I switched to T6 rotella after using delo 400 my typewriter went away almost completely.
Me and my brother's trucks both did this also. Switched to T6 and made a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Each truck is different. All I know is that the Rotella does make mine tick a lot louder. I can probably count on one hand the previous oil changes where I could tell the difference. Stick with what works for you.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
I switched to Mobile-1 synthetic and that was the only thing that made the tic stop, I ran rotella, and used to run delo since we ran it in all the diesel yachts , but only mobel made mine quiet

scott_willerscheidt

Jan 30, 2019
gig harbor wa.
Installed tunes from EFI LIVE. Love it!

2002 gmc sierra 2500hd quad cab short bed
Zone 3" kit
285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
17x9 Raceline 930's
S&B intake
3" turbo horn
PPE boost valve
MBRP 3" downpipe
MBRP 4" exhaust
LED conversion
Edge CTS2 with SAS EGT probe
boost auto towing mirrors ( dual function)
fass 90

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Installed sulastic shackles today. Gained about 1/2 of height but Im betting after some drive time they will settle more.
efeff82570e6a9279ff58f40d5bb7ced.jpg
bd9b493e8850660a957c832c2430ded0.jpg
c1a2308c842c49dc6d8fb9b46f5851e6.jpg

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Well, were they worth it?! Lol

Thanks for making me spend $400 James. Lol. I just took a quick trip around the block. Definitely need more miles to see the "bigger picture". First impressions, the rear suspension is smoother now. Does not have the leaf spring ride anymore. Sharp potholes and cracks are still there and you feel them but it's not as harsh. Going around turns feels like the rear now has a suspension not stiff like before. Kinda hard to describe. It feels just like the front suspension now might be the best way to describe it. It feels squishy but firm but not like I'm floating.......My drive to work tomorrow should tell the story about these shackles. FYI I put the jounce bumpers back in too.

To answer your question, I'm not sure yet. So far I like them with the very limited driving I did. I just need more time on them. Before I purchased them I made peace with the price of them and was ok if they didn't make the ride like I wanted it. I'm satisfied with "as long as they help the ride"

X2

I’ve been wondering this for a while. My truck shudders horribly even with the slightest bump. Have considered Deaver mini packs or Sulastics or even both. Sometimes it hurts my back with the NC roads, especially bridge transitions.

Have you tried lowering your tire pressure? I run 285/70/17's load E and run 34psi in the rear while daily driving empty. My ride was good with the stock shackles and lifted. When I lifted my truck I was going to go with a mini pack but after talking to James and deaver I didn't want to loose load capacity. I didn't want to do bags to make up for it because I do mild offroading.

Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I think I run somewhere about 40psi. I don’t want to go under that because I travel a lot and don’t want mileage to suffer much more. It’s a huge improvement from 50+ that the tire shop aired them up to. Still stiff. I already have bags and the truck rarely sees any off-road.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I think I run somewhere about 40psi. I don’t want to go under that because I travel a lot and don’t want mileage to suffer much more. It’s a huge improvement from 50+ that the tire shop aired them up to. Still stiff. I already have bags and the truck rarely sees any off-road.
I understand. I would look up the load inflation chart for you tire and adjust it as necessary. Try it for a couple weeks and calculate your mpg to see if it made a drastic change. Going from 40 to 34 psi makes a big difference on ride quality for me. It will only cost you a couple of dollars of diesel to try.

If you feel like spending some money by the shackles. The way I see it is they will not cure everything but it will help. Did my ride quality increase $400 with the shackles? Not sure yet...... probably debatable from person to person. With the short drive I'm happy with them so far.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I understand. I would look up the load inflation chart for you tire and adjust it as necessary. Try it for a couple weeks and calculate your mpg to see if it made a drastic change. Going from 40 to 34 psi makes a big difference on ride quality for me. It will only cost you a couple of dollars of diesel to try.

If you feel like spending some money by the shackles. The way I see it is they will not cure everything but it will help. Did my ride quality increase $400 with the shackles? Not sure yet...... probably debatable from person to person. With the short drive I'm happy with them so far.

I’m sure my cheap Chinese tires don’t help haha The plan is a 4” lift up front with mini packs in the rear and possibly shackles as well. All in the future. I’ll deal for now. Keep us updated on your thoughts please good sir!:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m sure my cheap Chinese tires don’t help haha The plan is a 4” lift up front with mini packs in the rear and possibly shackles as well. All in the future. I’ll deal for now. Keep us updated on your thoughts please good sir!:thumb:

IMHO, dont waste the money on the mini pack. the ride doesnt change much. You are better off starting with a new leaf pack or re-arching yours back to stock (should have 2-3" between the end of the overload and the leaf pack at ride height) and then running the sulastics like Mike did.

if you really want a different leaf pack to ride nice, call deaver and have a custom set made. their off the shelf stuff for the 2500hd still rides stiff but better than stock at least. A custom pack will ride like glass but aint going to hold shit for extra weight. i almost put the U182 pack on my truck but i wouldnt get the ride height i wanted so id need a custom pack (u182 is designed as a race pack for 1500 prerunners so it has a ton of leafs but a light spring rate, this gives them a very linear spring rate that works well at a specific rear end weight).

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
After driving around today I like them. Still rides like a truck but takes the harshness out. On some roads/bumps it rides very good and on some roads/bumps it it takes the harshness out. Over all I like them so far.