Odd chattering noise from torque converter area.

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
So I just rebuilt my 5sp alli. I used the alligator stage 5 kit with alto clutches, full transgo shift kit and 1800 stall alligator (ats built) torque converter. The build came out good, got all my clearances right and all my hard parts looked great. Reused all the bearings because they still looked and felt smooth as could be. I got it back in the truck and full of fluid and started the truck. There was an odd chattering sound from the torque converter/flex plate area.

I checked the fluid level to make sure the pump wasn't to blame and it did indeed suck fluid down to level. I jacked up the rear or the truck and put it on jack stands. When I put it in gear with my foot on the brake the noise stopped. I put it back in park and it chattered again. Put it in drive and let off the brake and gave it very minimal throttle to see if it made noise. It shifted nicely through all the gears and didn't chatter until it was slowing down and coasting to a stop.

I put the truck back on the ground and gingerly drove around the block and it only chattered while coasting, never under any kind of load. I drove to my tuner and had him reset my taps with EFI then drove about 50 miles. I never had any kind of drivability issue, codes or slipping or anything. The chatter never did stop in neutral or coasting though.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this? I definitely think the issue is in the converter since it isn't present under load of any kind. Bad converter? Should I not drive it anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turner87

May 24, 2014
Did you torque the torque converter bolts? Mine did that then blew the flex plate.. All because of loose torque converter bolts. Also did you use loc-tight?

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
I'm sure they are over torqued a bit and yes, I used blue loctite. I've heard of a higher stall converter chatter a little bit but a good friend of mine just ordered the same rebuild kit for his 5 sp with the same converter and his doesn't make any noise at all. I just wanted to make sure that it would be okay. I still plan on keeping an eye on it for a good while. Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. It puts my mind at ease a little bit

Last edited:

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
Well it was a shit converter after all. It gave up on life with just over 300 miles on it. Spin on has a shit load of metal, haven't pulled the pan yet. Too ****ing pissed right now.

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
Yes I did build it, it's what I do. I changed the spin on at 150 miles also and it didn't have hardly anything on the magnet. Then it started this chattering thing so I called ats and was told its normal. I asked if I should just drive it until it blows up then? I was told it will be fine and was totally normal for it to be making a little noise. I knew it was bs and here I am.

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
I'm calling alligator in the am and telling them about it. It's advertised that it has a 5year 500,000 mile warranty on it and it's been 5 days and 300 miles. I'm gonna tell them I don't want another one of these pos converters. They offer the precision ml converter as part of the kit so hopefully that's what they agree to send me.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
While yours was faulty, the ATS converters are very noisy converters. I compare it to replacing a DMF with a light SMF. Lots of rattle when sitting still.

Did you have your inspection cover installed? The noise will be much more pronounced with it missing.

In addition to the normal rattle, the ATS converters had been known to rip up a flex plate or three. Not sure if its still the case though, haven't used or seen one in awhile.

poweredmotives

Nov 15, 2010
Colorado Springs
They are sending me a suncoast 1056 to replace this lime green abortion of a converter I've got now. I asked the sales manager if they cover clutch damage due to the metal and they said they will cover the converter and absolutely nothing more. As far as I'm concerned they will not get another dime of my money. I guess at least they will honor the converter warranty.

Last edited:

Jun 1, 2012
Do you have to clean all the metal out of the tranny with another rebuild or just replace the converter?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk