O.d.L.

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.
Who plans on or are currently building a odl truck this winter?
I would like to but the cost can be crazy ..
$5000..Clutch & bellhousing
$4500..drop box & reverser
Then upgrade your dana & rockwell...a guy could drop 15 grand in a hurry.

I Need to find some used parts.

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I looked into a few parts, decided ill just go 2.6 for 2011. Maybe 2012 ill upgrade and go open driveline 3.0.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Who plans on or are currently building a odl truck this winter?
I would like to but the cost can be crazy ..
$5000..Clutch & bellhousing
$4500..drop box & reverser
Then upgrade your dana & rockwell...a guy could drop 15 grand in a hurry.

I Need to find some used parts.

Not bad considering people put $5k in an allison and $4k in a stock 11.5.;)

Check racing junk for starters and other truck/tractor pulling sites and you'll find used parts. I'll talk to some of my friends and see who may have parts.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all

Check racing junk for starters and other truck/tractor pulling sites and you'll find used parts. I'll talk to some of my friends and see who may have parts.

Its funny it all seems super expensive until you think about it that way.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Throwing this question out there, just because I've never understood it, but taking a nice SS truck like your Jim and pretty much forever crossing the line of making it a street truck again vs buying ODL gasser chassis, just seems like you could do it cheaper and without the comprimise buying a 80's chevy already set up for ODL, thats just missing the engine.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
This is the main reason I don't pull anymore!!!!!! Even in the 2.6 class I feel I need to strip ac/heater components. Tank, weight,braces,seats, anything to gain a edge. Im sorry but not on a 2002 chevy thats NEVER seen salt and has 49,000 miles on it. I may be some dumb but not plum dumb

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
This is the main reason I don't pull anymore!!!!!! Even in the 2.6 class I feel I need to strip ac/heater components. Tank, weight,braces,seats, anything to gain a edge. Im sorry but not on a 2002 chevy thats NEVER seen salt and has 49,000 miles on it. I may be some dumb but not plum dumb

I hear ya there, i wish i would have started with a junk truck, but once a got so far, i really couldnt turn around, now i have an 79k mile truck that is gutted lol.

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.
Throwing this question out there, just because I've never understood it, but taking a nice SS truck like your Jim and pretty much forever crossing the line of making it a street truck again vs buying ODL gasser chassis, just seems like you could do it cheaper and without the comprimise buying a 80's chevy already set up for ODL, thats just missing the engine.
I kinda of crossed the line already this 65000 mile 02 will never see the street again. I thought about buying a pulling chassis but i like to learn the hard way.

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.

I think that is what makes it so hard to do it all over again.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I'm like Ed, My 03 will stay stock driveline until I'm ready. I bought a 06 gasser work truck for cheap that I will make an ODL truck and put my 03 back on the road. It makes me sick that I have leather and heated seats in my puller while I DD my gasser with vinyl floor boards and cloth seats:rofl: But at least me butt will stay warm in the staging lanes:D

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Come on John you want to. Sled-pulling Diesels and automatics don't go together.

Yea I want to, and I have my eyes peeled for smokin deals, but I got other priorities right now. I'm going to limp through at least one more season before I make any big changes.

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
I think a lot of guys would be better off just starting with a different truck than what they have currently in SSD with BTPA. If you get an older GM truck it is way lighter than a newer body once you strip it down. You also are not cutting up a 10-15K dollar truck (on the cheap side!!!). Just my thoughts.

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
James what can you tell me about this 30 series reverser.

I have never seen one used before but from the limited info on SCS site, :mad:, it looks like you can change the head sets in the 30 series almost like a 3 speed kit for the old SM465 trans. It also has the reverser built into it. Looks like something that the 2wd guys would use more than 4wd. I would think extra weight that is not needed. You could pick that up and keep the transfer case and sell off that 30 series and wait for another reverser to come up. Let me know if you need anything else Jim:)

jimdmax

Feb 18, 2007
Garden Prairie IL.
I have never seen one used before but from the limited info on SCS site, :mad:, it looks like you can change the head sets in the 30 series almost like a 3 speed kit for the old SM465 trans. It also has the reverser built into it. Looks like something that the 2wd guys would use more than 4wd. I would think extra weight that is not needed. You could pick that up and keep the transfer case and sell off that 30 series and wait for another reverser to come up. Let me know if you need anything else Jim:)

Thanks James that's more info then i had.