Nozzles vs Whole New injectors

Michael Moore III

06 dirtyMax
Jul 16, 2013
MD
Is there any benefit in buying 8 new injectors or would I be ok doing nozzles from a reputable company. The only bad thing I have ready about just doing nozzles all had to do with a specific manufacture. I am looking to do 60 over and if I could save a little bit of change with the nozzles, that would be nice. But if I am giving up playing it on the safe side I will spend the money.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
There is a reason why most injector builders have specs. Outside of specs = failure along with the risk of bad feedback from cheap customer.

Michael Moore III

06 dirtyMax
Jul 16, 2013
MD
As far as I know it has never had new injectors so they 78,846 miles on um. I have no problem spending the money for a higher quality product, but if I can save a little money I like that idea too.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I put industrial injection nozzles on my stock 155,000 miles bodies myself...never have had a single issue with them. They were brand new nozzles tho.

Michael Moore III

06 dirtyMax
Jul 16, 2013
MD
I know I can pull um myself and just send um out myself and cut out the middle man. I know dipper and Justin at confederate send them to the same place. Is it safe to have the injectors out for that long as long as I have the ports sealed?

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
I know I can pull um myself and just send um out myself and cut out the middle man. I know dipper and Justin at confederate send them to the same place. Is it safe to have the injectors out for that long as long as I have the ports sealed?

Dude, my injectors were out of my truck for like 9 months, I just set the rocker boxes and valve covers back on until I was ready to put them back in. Of course I made sure everything was cleaned out before I put them back in, but everything has been working fine for 25,000 miles since then.

Michael Moore III

06 dirtyMax
Jul 16, 2013
MD
Good deal and its even easier for me because I don't have to pull the valve covers off. I appreciate the help fellas I will make some calls tomorrow.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I was on the fence about sending mine in and buying new injectors and 60 overs from Exergy but I just had mine tested after being out of the truck for 2 years and they came back good so now I'm thinking just nozzles. So long as a guy keeps an eye on balance rates there should be no issues I'm thinking. My biggest fear is hanging an injector and burning down a hole. But I suppose this could be possible with the rebuilds too.

That said, how does one get ahold of the right people at extrude hone to get 60% over done? I think I found their website but it didn't really help me out much.
Exergy won't just sell nozzles anymore according to their website so they are out until I need new injectors.

Last edited:

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I was on the fence about sending mine in and buying new injectors and 60 overs from Exergy but I just had mine tested after being out of the truck for 2 years and they came back good so now I'm thinking just nozzles. So long as a guy keeps an eye on balance rates there should be no issues I'm thinking. My biggest fear is hanging an injector and burning down a hole. But I suppose this could be possible with the rebuilds too.

That said, how does one get ahold of the right people at extrude hone to get 60% over done? I think I found their website but it didn't really help me out much.
Exergy won't just sell nozzles anymore according to their website so they are out until I need new injectors.
Call this number and ask for Jim. Kenametal Extrude hone is the business name.
(724) 539-5000

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thanks.

Do they balance them after or is it just a crap shoot as to what you end up with?

BUST'EM 504

Oct 7, 2009
I didn't 45s with extrude hone. I've had them for over 4 years and mine have been great. Anything over 60s I would tested and balanced. I thought extrude hone only did the nozzles not any testing but they may have changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Thanks.

Do they balance them after or is it just a crap shoot as to what you end up with?
They make them all flow really close the the same but if there is a difference in your injectors they cant help that as they just do the nozzles. I sent mine out to get honed to 30% over and it was only $298 plus shipping! I was told by my tuner that anything overs 45% balancing is highly recommended btw....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Maybe I'll just go 45's and rock those till the injectors shit the bed then go with a full set of 60's and remans from exergy. I just want something a little bigger just to get this thing running.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Obviously the safest and most peace of mind route is getting the a whole set of injectors matched, tested, and honed out to what you want..... Its also a lot more expensive. But it is peace of mind. Odds are you're going to be fine just slapping the nozzles on there but then again there's always a chance.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I though exergy would re use your bodies if they tested good???
They wont sell you nozzles by themselves. You either buy new Bosch, remans or send them yours but your not guaranteed to get your exact ones back all the time.