Now what???

LTS Max

Apr 4, 2008
Well I couldn't be more disapointed in my truck after this weekend at the drag strip. I recently paid big money to have a South Bend DD clutch installed in my 02 LB7. On the street and dyno it's worked fine and held my near 400rwhp ok. I knew shifting through the gears at the track would be tough but the clutch slips horribly. First pass with a 2.6 60' was 15.6 at 92mph. 2nd and 3rd passes I could not finish under full power as the truck blew through 4th gear completely and just slipped. Driving home the truck acted fine under full power in every gear. Seems this clutch likes to be fully engaged first before applying the power. If you shift under power it's like the clutch gets too hot and can't hold at all. It acted exactly the same as the stock clutch when you put a big tune to it.

My thoughts are, A-sell the truck and buy an Allison or B- find another transmission option to handle more drag racing type applications. Is a ZF to Allison swap even possible without gutting the truck electronics? Is there another automatic swap besides the Allison that would mount to the Duramax and handle bigger power levels?

Also, I have the option to buy a 2wd Allison single cab Duramax but am I asking for major traction problems from that set up even with using slicks?

I don't need the truck for towing or daily use but I don't want an all out drag truck either. Just a quick truck (11's) to run around town with. Looks like I chose poorly starting with a ZF for that goal. :(