Non VGT turbos and exhaust

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
So this past weekend I finished up my turbo swap on my lmm. Went to a s369sxe with a wehrli install kit. In the kit it comes with a 3 inch downpipe and I connected that up to a 4 inch straight pipes mbrp exhaust to a 6 inch tip. Well it sounds like shit, super raspy at 2600-2800 rpms. What are people running for exhaust to make it not sound like shit? Should I put a muffler in it? Would going to 5 inch fix it?

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Aero turbine muffler gets my vote for fixed vane guys. Flow through but helps the raspy popping of a fixed vane IMO.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So this past weekend I finished up my turbo swap on my lmm. Went to a s369sxe with a wehrli install kit. In the kit it comes with a 3 inch downpipe and I connected that up to a 4 inch straight pipes mbrp exhaust to a 6 inch tip. Well it sounds like shit, super raspy at 2600-2800 rpms. What are people running for exhaust to make it not sound like shit? Should I put a muffler in it? Would going to 5 inch fix it?

Get rid of that stupid tip for starters. As mentioned already a muffler will certainly help. And yes going to 5" will reduce the sharp raspiness of it and give a littler deeper tone. But it will be just as loud possibly louder. Just change the tone basically.

If your looking for a nice deep sound I'd go with a 5" system and find a place for a second muffler or a resonator.

Tips just cause echoes in my opinion. Unless they are close to the same size as the rest of the pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisPerry

Apr 4, 2016
Ventura, CA
With my 5", I put a 5" tip with a rolled edge on. It cut some of the raspyness. Was still too much, so I put a MBRP muffler that my buddy had at his shop on. Love the sound now.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I liked how my lml with a fixed vane sounded.. 5" exhaust with a muffler.. Was still decently loud but wasn't raspy as far as I could tell..

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
I'll try to take the tip off and see how it sounds and then go from there. I would rather not spend 1k on an exhaust system right now.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
I ordered up an aero turbine muffler from Amazon for 89 bucks and free shipping. So I'll try that and removing the tip and hopefully I'll be good to go.