Non mechanical savvy, desperate for advice

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
I own 2 commercial box trucks. One is a 24ft c6500 2006 GMC and the other 2007 c5500 GMC.

The problematic in the family has always been the latter.

I've spent over 4500$ on it and the latest news is that it now needs it engine (duramax) rebuilt.

The pistons? (or cylinders) aren't firing, the compression isn't showing on some pistons. The truck has around 180k miles on it. They are saying they need to replace the pistons or cylinder rings. I got a quote from another mechanic saying that it would run $8500 for parts and labor. I'm waiting on this current mechanic for his quote.
UPDATE: The initial problem with the truck was, that it began to lose power, could not drive uphill, and began releasing white smoke and of course check engine light came on. When I took it to the mechanic he initially said that probably all injectors need replacement, he then after checking each injector to see how it is working changed his diagnosis to basically rebuilding the engine with new pistons and cylinder. He said that there was oil pumping out from a place where it should not be
Here are the repairs in chronological order which was completed:

90 day inspection:
Cause: R&R Drag Link, Master Cylinder, Two carrier bearings
Correction: Front drag link has excessive play from both sides, found both carrier bearings completely worn out, master cylinder leaking from cannister, high side A/C line rubbing on A/C compressor. Repaired all stated and bleed brake lines, added oil to engine and oil to power steering.
Total $2039 was spent.

Then 5 days later I came in with another problem. The brakes of my truck were locking up and it was impossible to move it.
CAUSE: ABS module internal damage
Correction: found abs module locking up all four tires after few minutes driving, replaced abs module with new. Installed new brake fluid. $2300.

Gentlemen I have already changed from the aforemention mechanic to another one. But I do not how whats going to happen now. This current mechanic that I have switched to does free diagnosis if the repairs are done with him, if not then diagnosis is $150. His shop seems to be decent, it is packed with heavy duty trucks and some medium duty. People would not come to a place where the mechanics aren't worth the money I would assume, correct?

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It's going to be very hard to diagnose without seeing it if you don't know what you're looking for.

Sounds very likely you could have split a piston. Do you by any chance have compression numbers for all the cylinders? It could be headgaskets though.

I doubt you bent lbz rods with stock power. Those pistons though. Where is the oil coming from?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
Hi Awenta,

Thank you for your reply

Could you list me some questions I should ask my mechanic? I will post them here.

So far I should ask the compression number for all the cylinders. and where the oil is coming from?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
How does the coolant look? Is there blowby?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
For those prices it might be worthwhile looking into a remanufactured long block with warranty. Then have that shop install it.

You mean a remanufactured engine with warranty? Do you have a ball park on how much it would cost?

I received one quote for around $8500 for parts and labor for a full rebuild kit.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You mean a remanufactured engine with warranty? Do you have a ball park on how much it would cost?

I received one quote for around $8500 for parts and labor for a full rebuild kit.

On there quote have him show the cost for parts only. There is a few cheaper ways in cost for stock or better parts to step up to.

Also a reman is a option also.

A few bundles we have can also change the bundles around to come with Finger Oval Pistons for +725.00 extra.

Carrillo rod bundle. 4,600.00 shipped + 725.00 using Finger oval Pistons.
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...-Carrillo-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P3292161.aspx

Brian Crower Rod bundle. 4,100.00 shipped + 725.00 using Finger oval Pistons.
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...an-Crower-Rods-Pistons-Bearings-P5172414.aspx

Carrillo Rod bundle less piston kit. 3,150.00 shipped also do same bundle with Brian Crower rods for 2,650.00 shipped
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...ul-Gasket-Set-H-Series-Bearings-P3579197.aspx

Mahle race cast bundle less rods. 2,570.00 shipped + 725.00 using Finger oval Pistons.
http://creaturesofthenightperforman...it-with-Mahle-Race-Cast-Pistons-P2372186.aspx

Mahle OEM bundle less rods. 2,150.00 shipped
http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Duramax-LB7LLYLBZLMM-Stock-Rebuild-Kit-P3604882.aspx

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I purchased a GM re-man long block from the parts counter at my local dealer, $6400+ tax, came with all the gaskets necessary to finish the install and a 100k mi warranty...

Food for thought...

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
I purchased a GM re-man long block from the parts counter at my local dealer, $6400+ tax, came with all the gaskets necessary to finish the install and a 100k mi warranty...

Food for thought...

Do you mind sharing the dealer? The cheapest I've ever been quoted was $8,500 (+tax) for a LB7.

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
Update:

Just for future reference so I can know whether this mechanic can be relied upon or no in the future, can you guys tell me if the attached quote he gave me to rebuild is reasonable.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 44

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Full overhaul gasket kit is high. There is parts he does not have listed that need replaced during build. The stock main,Rod, head and flex plate bolts there tty one time use only setup.

2,150.00 shipped and no tax has pistons,rings and wrist pins, full overhaul gasket kit with head gaskets and bearing kit. All tty bolts also in this kit.
http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Duramax-LB7LLYLBZLMM-Stock-Rebuild-Kit-P3604882.aspx

Also can get you reman heads for less.

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
Full overhaul gasket kit is high. There is parts he does not have listed that need replaced during build. The stock main,Rod, head and flex plate bolts there tty one time use only setup.

2,150.00 shipped and no tax has pistons,rings and wrist pins, full overhaul gasket kit with head gaskets and bearing kit. All tty bolts also in this kit.

Also can get you reman heads for less.

So he is charging me approximately 7,000 for something that is worth 2150?

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
So he is charging me approximately 7,000 for something that is worth 2150?

Correct it does seem to be that way. Maybe also look into calling PPE Diesel (Pacific Performance Engineering) and ask for Dan see if they can not get you, and your truck taken care of. :thumb:

akbarshoxxx

Jul 29, 2015
Correct it does seem to be that way. Maybe also look into calling PPE Diesel (Pacific Performance Engineering) and ask for Dan see if they can not get you, and your truck taken care of. :thumb:

Will do, should I reference you to them so that they can take care of me well, or are they simply honest mechanics?

Also another question: Which brand of box trucks should I go for? Maybe the ones that has sleeves in the engine? I heard international has sleeves but they constantly have sensor breakage problems, unfortunately gmc box trucks dont have the engine sleeves

Last edited: