No 4x4?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Worked fine for the past few weeks. Used it several times. Once it made a pretty bad grinding noise for about a second before going into 4hi, still worked fine after that though. Saw a service 4x4 message a couple of times last week, but it still worked last week. Now that we have 12" of snow coming tonight, I have no 4x4 today. Its on my 04 lb7 ccsb 207k miles. The indicator light by the push buttons shows in the neutral position (red light is lit up) but it is in 2hi and there is no service 4x4 message. If I hit the 4hi or 2hi buttons the light beside the respective button will blink for about 15 seconds then the red neutral light goes back on.

Tcase is full of fluid and no hole from pump rub. I don't have access to a tech 2 except by getting bent over at the dealer. Any steps I can do to troubleshoot this?

Sent from my old skool Droid

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I wonder if it could be switch itself. I believe that to be a common issue with some of the electronically controlled t-cases. I may be way off on this though.
bump for you jesse

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
That's what I was thinking to try john. Didn't know if it grounded to the axle or anything stupid like that. Ill probably give that a shot after work. Anything else I can do other than checking fuses and connections?

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Ya I'd think so too. Other than the actuator I'm just not sure what else to do to try and pinpoint the problem.

i_keyser

DD n00b
Jun 4, 2010
Denver
really the only way to know what it is for sure is to get the codes pulled out of the transfer case module. it would be the switch, module, or encoder motor (actuator on tcase). all three parts have problems so its hard to tell what it is without a code to go off of.

justin_08

Blackmax
Jan 31, 2012
Indiana
I had one do this same thing to me for a long time and then finally it stoped working like Urs did. I had to end up taking it to a dealer and they told me they had to plug it in and reset the t-case module. Cost me 75 bucks but I never had a problem with it after that. They said it happens to a lot of them but didn't know why they just reset them and there good to go.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
NBS trucks need the the transfer case reprogrammed sometimes. Dont know why but weve had quite a few of them do that. The older style, if its the electric switch style, the switches can go bad.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Well a little update. It did the same thing on the way home from work yesterday. Then after I got home, the old lady and I headed into town, and it was back to normal. The 2wd light was on, and it switched right into 4wd.

Only thing that sucks is that if you switch while driving, even with the truck in neutral at idle, but still rolling, it makes a nasty grind sound (like if you try and start a motor that's already running, the starter grinding like sound) for about half a second, every time, and it feels like you slam on the brakes. Then it goes into 4x4 and works fine. I used it quite a bit last night while the snow was coming down, and it seemed to work fine. I just tried to switch into 4x4 while I was stopped so it wouldn't grind. If it acts up again today I'll report back.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Well a little update. It did the same thing on the way home from work yesterday. Then after I got home, the old lady and I headed into town, and it was back to normal. The 2wd light was on, and it switched right into 4wd.

Only thing that sucks is that if you switch while driving, even with the truck in neutral at idle, but still rolling, it makes a nasty grind sound (like if you try and start a motor that's already running, the starter grinding like sound) for about half a second, every time, and it feels like you slam on the brakes. Then it goes into 4x4 and works fine. I used it quite a bit last night while the snow was coming down, and it seemed to work fine. I just tried to switch into 4x4 while I was stopped so it wouldn't grind. If it acts up again today I'll report back.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Its on my list. I still have to change both diffs and the tcase here in the next couple weeks.

For whatever reason the 4x4 worked just fine all weekend. I used it quite a bit since we got about 10" of snow Friday night. Didn't miss a beat, but will still grind when engaging. Guess ill just roll with it and see what happens. Hopefully it keeps on working.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
My 04 and my brothers 03 quit the same week. Both are button shift. We've put different front actuators in and changed the shift motor on the 04 and still nothing :(. The 04 had a service 4x4 light on once but never seen it again. It's very frustrating cause it's our feed pickup and when we finally get snow we gotta have 4x4.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Off topic are you from Husker Diesel?

Its on my list. I still have to change both diffs and the tcase here in the next couple weeks.

For whatever reason the 4x4 worked just fine all weekend. I used it quite a bit since we got about 10" of snow Friday night. Didn't miss a beat, but will still grind when engaging. Guess ill just roll with it and see what happens. Hopefully it keeps on working.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
Off topic are you from Husker Diesel?

Yes and no. I sell parts on DF for Jess. And I helped him get the business off the ground when I lived in Lincoln going to unl. But I live 150 miles from the shop now so I don't work at the shop or anything. I assume your hinting that I have them fix it? Which I will if it keeps acting up. Wanted to try n trouble shoot it myself in the mean time.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
You got my PM :thumb:. I was looking for them to talk about a trans build.

Yes and no. I sell parts on DF for Jess. And I helped him get the business off the ground when I lived in Lincoln going to unl. But I live 150 miles from the shop now so I don't work at the shop or anything. I assume your hinting that I have them fix it? Which I will if it keeps acting up. Wanted to try n trouble shoot it myself in the mean time.