NHRA Rulebook Question

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So I got this bug in my ear to build a regular cab. I've found one here in WI that is rust free as a rolling chassis. My question stems from the roll bar wording and I just want to clarify before I get it done and be left SOL. The way I understand the rule is that any factory floor/firewall/body is that I can run down to 9.99 (6.39 1/8th) and above 135mph. Below is a snipping from the rule book under section 8, page 4. If this is correct, what is the MPH limit I can run with a roll bar? Would I just be limited to 9.99/6.39 at that point?

"If vehicle is equipped with unaltered
firewall, floor, and body (from firewall rearward, tubs permitted),
roll bar permitted in lieu of roll cage. Complete roll cage per
General Regulations mandatory in all convertibles. See General
Regulations 4:4, 4:11, 10:6."

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
10.99 or slower for a bar, no speed max. a roll cage is good for 9.99 or 135mph with padding.

either route you go, you need to get in contact with the nhra cert tech that is in your area and clarify all of this with him if you intend to have it certified. The rules are never clear enough and each tech is different in what he/she wants to see to pass. they dont like seeing big heavy fast diesels with minimal caging...

Reactions: MarkBroviak

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
10.99 or slower for a bar, no speed max. a roll cage is good for 9.99 or 135mph with padding.

either route you go, you need to get in contact with the nhra cert tech that is in your area and clarify all of this with him if you intend to have it certified. The rules are never clear enough and each tech is different in what he/she wants to see to pass. they dont like seeing big heavy fast diesels with minimal caging...

I just reached out to the closest inspector. Likely going to just go to a 10 point through the dash with swing out door bars.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just reached out to the closest inspector. Likely going to just go to a 10 point through the dash with swing out door bars.

Our tech out here wouldnt allow swing out door bars to be used. honestly, if you are going that far, why not just do a sfi cert cage? then shes good for a heck of alot lower time.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I would do a cage. You'll regret not doing one. It's really not that much extra at that point. Also remember. It's your safety.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I called the Firepunk crew, they supposedly did one and Rick is checking to see if they still have the files to sell a pre-bent.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
just curious why?

I think it’s a weak spot personally

Honestly? Because I’m a big guy, I’m going to drive this thing everywhere like a weekend sports car, and I’m going to eventually use it to take road trips with the wife. She’s wanted to build an older truck and cruise in it so I figure why not, it’s comfortable, fast, and has tons of good money spent already.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Honestly? Because I’m a big guy, I’m going to drive this thing everywhere like a weekend sports car, and I’m going to eventually use it to take road trips with the wife. She’s wanted to build an older truck and cruise in it so I figure why not, it’s comfortable, fast, and has tons of good money spent already.

makes perfect sense man.

I’m not small either and it’s hard to get in and out of a full cage.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Are swing out door bars that much weaker? Couldn’t you just make them stronger? I’ve been debating a cage for my truck but driving it every day has put me off from it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I called the Firepunk crew, they supposedly did one and Rick is checking to see if they still have the files to sell a pre-bent.

Don’t matter if the nhra tech won’t pass it. Marks roll bar in white lightening would never pass out here via Ed but he got his to last a while back there (I think it’s still good even now).

Draw up the design and pass it on to the tech. Make friends with that dude, they can really pick the fucker apart if they want. It’s literally all left up to their interpretation, not what you read in the rule book. The book is strictly a guideline. I was told this by the tech as well as the director who both inspected the cage I built for the cummins.

I’d love to spell out exactly how to build it but it’s not that simple.

Also, you really need to think twice about daily driving this with a cage or roll bar and here’s why. Unless you drive with a helmet at all times and use the 5 points at all times, you leave yourself vulnerable to getting very hurt by the cage it’s self in a wreck. It’s point is to hold structure to the truck but when you are out daily driving, you are not strapped in to stay solid like the cage. Should you wreck, you will bend around and very easily hit your head on a cage bar or worse. You’ve also now stopped crumple zones and with no air bags (I’m sure those will go), you will take the full force of an impact and again, if not properly strapped in, you will take significant damage.

I’m not saying this as “my brothers cousins moms dads uncles friend had a guy die driving his caged car on the street”. It comes from watching an actually friend spent a years worth of recovery at this point from getting beat around in his caged Tacoma as it rolled from a separated tire and then ejecting him (he had 5 point harnesses and only wore the lap belt). About 5-6 years ago, local guy in the street racing scene died because he was just driving his car (not racing) and someone ran a red light, center punched his driver door and smacked his head into the roll cage. Killed him on the spot. Other than a bend in the door bar and messed side of the car, you would think he would have survived but the b pillar was just to the back side of his head. The cage works as long as you take the precautions with it all the time.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Don’t matter if the nhra tech won’t pass it. Marks roll bar in white lightening would never pass out here via Ed but he got his to last a while back there (I think it’s still good even now).

Draw up the design and pass it on to the tech. Make friends with that dude, they can really pick the fucker apart if they want. It’s literally all left up to their interpretation, not what you read in the rule book. The book is strictly a guideline. I was told this by the tech as well as the director who both inspected the cage I built for the cummins.

I’d love to spell out exactly how to build it but it’s not that simple.

Also, you really need to think twice about daily driving this with a cage or roll bar and here’s why. Unless you drive with a helmet at all times and use the 5 points at all times, you leave yourself vulnerable to getting very hurt by the cage it’s self in a wreck. It’s point is to hold structure to the truck but when you are out daily driving, you are not strapped in to stay solid like the cage. Should you wreck, you will bend around and very easily hit your head on a cage bar or worse. You’ve also now stopped crumple zones and with no air bags (I’m sure those will go), you will take the full force of an impact and again, if not properly strapped in, you will take significant damage.

I’m not saying this as “my brothers cousins moms dads uncles friend had a guy die driving his caged car on the street”. It comes from watching an actually friend spent a years worth of recovery at this point from getting beat around in his caged Tacoma as it rolled from a separated tire and then ejecting him (he had 5 point harnesses and only wore the lap belt). About 5-6 years ago, local guy in the street racing scene died because he was just driving his car (not racing) and someone ran a red light, center punched his driver door and smacked his head into the roll cage. Killed him on the spot. Other than a bend in the door bar and messed side of the car, you would think he would have survived but the b pillar was just to the back side of his head. The cage works as long as you take the precautions with it all the time.

James, I really appreciate the insight. That is one nice thing that Firepunk has done on the cummins side is bolt in bars where they can pull the bar out when not needed.

This won’t work with a cage but a roll bar to allow me to run 6.39 would be fine with me. I don’t plan on running the 1/4 most passes.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
10.0 is allowed with a roll bar and doesn’t need to be inspected or certed.

Swing out bars are allowed up to 8.50 cert if built correctly. Entry level certed cages can go up to 8.50. So if your vehicle goes faster then 10 you’ll need a certed cage. That cert is good to 8.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
My rollbar in White Lightning has pinned removable door bars and it is 90% out of the way for street use. Like James said, I got away with it for a very long time without any issues or objections till I ran a 10.24@140mph on a test and tune street night and they threw me out for it. It comes down to the tech guy at that time really, and this guys was not impressed at all, lol. Didn't even want to give me the slip and then when I said the slip was slow he lost his shit on me! He was ranting about not having a window net and everything else and I was like this is my daily, my race truck has all that shit lol. Then I told him I had a slip with 159.6mph on it from 1/2mile event on street tires and he told me to leave, MURICA!!! At the end of the day its your ride and your life so think extra long and hard on it cause it only takes a split second to lose everything and my kids remind me of this everyday, they are my safety police! I've done a ton of retard things in my life but I don't risk it as much these days cause I want to see what they become in their lives and I have to actually be here to see that. Dom Lagana is the perfect example of this as he got hurt on the street not at the track, shit happens when you least expect it! Also build it for more than you plan because it is cheaper to do it right the first time instead of going back and re doing the work over and over, trust me on this!

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
Whatever goes into it will have padding meeting or exceeding SFI requirement on any part of the bar/cage that is visible.

SFI rated padding is meant to protect a helmet, not your bare head. It is dense. Probably better than hitting your head on a steel tube, but it's not an airbag.