Help: New turbo and still pouring oil out exhaust...

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
ok so the front seal went out on the stock turbo,(blowing oil in intake and smoking like a freight train constantly):mad:, so i ordered a htt s366 and got it installed at a shop that turned out to be a joke(not gonna name bash) but anyway, its still blowing oil in the intake and smoking terribly....i'm afraid to drive it cause of the amount of smoke....what could have went bad to make it still blow oil like that?....:confused::confused::confused:
i flushed the intercooler and pipes after new turbo install, and the new turbo has no shaft play, i am about to pull my hair out again on this thing.....
is the new turbo bad?
is there anything specific that needs to be done on the install that maybe he didn't do?
i have been told the oil return could be messed up or blocked.... i beleive i'll have to pull the turbo again to check that but how do i know if its blocked and flowing after the turbo is off?

someone please help before i wash this damn thing with gas and dry it with a match!!!!!!!!

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
i though it could just be my muffler full of oil, but i changed the oil when the turbo was installed and it smoke'd and smoke'd so figuring it was just in the exhaust burning out i drove it and it burnt almost have the oil in two days....:S

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
isn't the return a hard line? from what i can see its not kink'd or pinched.....but i'm not 100 percent sure....how can u unglog it the easiest?

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
just talked to the guy at the "shitty shop" he said he cleaned the drain tube before he put it back on?????? back to square one??

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
no haven't done that yet, but after cleaning the ic and pipes and seein that they have oil in them again and its burning it like hell, i just don't understand how a new turbo would do what a stock one with a blown seal would do....
it isn't in the cai or on the outside of the impeller i know...just goes toward the ic

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I doubt its the turbo, whats the odds of the new charger doing exacly what the stock one was doing? I would lean towards a plugged return or something. The "shitty" shop probably didn't check the line like he said.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
yea thats what i'm thinkin.... i just had the top end done at DTS with injectors, studs, gaskets, etc... so i'm almost 100% sure its nothing motor wise....David at DTS is more than helpful in helping me figure it out and i'm debating on just taking it to him to straighten out cause he is the SHIT on dmax's....i might try pullin the turbo to check the drain myself and if i can't find anything there its prob heading to him.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
i dunno where my dig cam has ran off too but i will try and get some pics up asap so i can get some more input from you guys.....

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
could the turbo be gettin too much oil? what kinda of oil restrictor does the htt kit come with?

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
ok so i have just decided to take the truck to Diesel Technology Source in Ga and let David fix the truck right instead of fooling with "wanna-be" diesel shops anymore...., he knows his shit and i trust his work completely and i know i can send it there and get it done right with more than enough confidence to have awesome work quality and any assistance and help during and afterwards,.....
David buddy she's a coming your way sunday...:thumb:

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
yea my stress went down alot, i know if it goes to him it'll come back perfect.....
and there is so much oil starting from turbo to my tailpipe i'm not sure where it all is....i'm sending it to David before i set the damn thing on fire....

Lb7turbo2003

Jul 31, 2022
yea my stress went down alot, i know if it goes to him it'll come back perfect.....
and there is so much oil starting from turbo to my tailpipe i'm not sure where it all is....i'm sending it to David before i set the damn thing on fire....
I hope I can revive this old post.. 2003 lb7, stock minus a aftermarket exhaust and EGR delete. 800k miles
Soooo experiencing the same problem. Story: I replaced all 8 injectors 2 years ago. Took a haul from Texas to Oklahoma 24k lbs.
On the way there a loud pop and sputter happened. Got the thing towed to my shop.
Oil is dumping out of the exhaust, and misfiring.
I pull the down pipe and intake pipes to see how much oil is on either side of the turbo. No oil on intake side, tons on exhaust side.
I did a power balanced test and 2,3,4,8 failed.
Okay cool, so turbo and injectors right. Just got done replacing these parts, exact same problem, oil just dumping out and misfiring.
What is this I hear about the return being clogged.