LB7: New to LB7s

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
First post, purchased my new to me 2003 GMC Sierra LB7 back in September been lurking for a while learning stuff, I have a 4” straight pipe exhaust waiting to be put on when the weather is warmer, and a turbo intake horn coming in the mail, I’m not ready for tuning yet (will be getting EFI Live) but want to know what sort of mods I should be looking at for good upgrades and reliability

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning more

f1cc02d3378eb480faf9190ad14a8c68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Forgot to mention it’s 100% stock at this time apart from the rims, tail lights and HIDs

I was looking at lift pumps but wasn’t sure what size I should be looking at

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
First off welcome to the forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable guys here that can help you better. I'm new to lb7's also.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Oh. Welcome! Lol sorry. Anyways I’m a huge fan of Kennedy pumps. They’re silent and very reliable because of their design plus very easy to install and affordable. The only downfall is they don’t offer added filtration. Which you can solve by adding filters under the truck or just keep your stock filter. Air dog and fass are nice but $$$ and noisy. You need some gauges too. And when you do efi delete the intake air heater.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Start saving for a built trans unless you have a lot of self control;) lb7 5-speed can handle 100 horse tune relatively safely depending on driving habits...

Welcome to DD

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Thanks for the welcomes, I like the idea of the FASS and air dogs cuz I want the extra filtration and water removal, I want my injectors to last as long as possible, they were changed out about 55,000 km ago so hopefully have a lot of life left In them

What size pump should I be looking at? Are they adjustable so I can add flow as it’s needed?

I have a lot of stuff I need to save for on this truck is there any smaller things I can do to the tranny to help it?

Also can I run a 4” straight pipe exhaust and the 3” turbo intake horn without a tune? Will I have any issues?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You can run the exhaust without a tune. You might get a cel for EGR flow though.

What are your power goals? That’ll decide what size lift pump you need now.

zakkb787 said:
Anyways I’m a huge fan of Kennedy pumps. They’re silent and very reliable because of their design plus very easy to install and affordable. The only downfall is they don’t offer added filtration. Which you can solve by adding filters under the truck or just keep your stock filter

Kennedy has filters available too.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Lb7 so no egr to worry about. Kennedy does sell filters but you can get a Napa filter head for pretty cheap. Around $30 I think and mount to the frame so either way you come out cheaper with a better quality pump. Extra filtration May or may not help. It’s never been proven that it increases injector life. But it is a little more assurance.

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Mine did. IIRC started in 2003 with California, New England, and fleet emission compliant trucks. They also came with a cat, vacuum pump and heads that don't flow as well as the federal emisssions heads.

My truck is an Alberta truck, we don’t have any extra emissions stuff, would a combo of the exhaust and turbo intake horn cause me an issue where I’m not able to get enough fuel to keep up with air in/out or will I be ok?

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
You can run the exhaust without a tune. You might get a cel for EGR flow though.

What are your power goals? That’ll decide what size lift pump you need now.

Kennedy has filters available too.

I’ll need to build a tranny at some point or do an upgrade to it, so might aswell start saving and researching, I’ve read of suncoast stage 3 or others similar, I really don’t know what I want in terms of power, I just want it to be reliable and be able to pull a car hauler or a camper with ease doesn’t need to be crazy

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Save money. A lift pump is a great first mod just because it'll help the life of stock injectors.

I just had some work done on my stock trans truck. Had 45% SAC injectors put in because it had to happen. Also had a lift pump installed and deleted the OEM filter. I really like that idea just because the lift pump filters are all that's really needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Do t case pump rub kit ASAP ! it will save you $1500 ! Good investment for $100 now !

Definitely something I’m gonna look at, cheapest I’ve found is like $200ish for the merchant auto pump rub fix, have to wait for warmer weather, I don’t know the condition of the current t-case may need another rear cover aswell to be safe