new suppressor, coating burnt off?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
got my suppressor about 2 months ago and finally got it out last night. It shot great, I started with my 16'' no issues at all, shot well, only issue i had was due to a failed promag magazine, which found its way onto the range....then i swapped it(while fairly hot) to my 7.5'' shot fine as well, no issues, adjusted the gas block a little, but nothing serious.

it was dark out, got it home to look at and clean everything, and the can it self looks like the coating burned off, it looks like almost bare metal, it only happened on the can end, where the attachment device that attaches to the flash hider, i think they call it the maad mounting, its still mostly black.

it doesnt look like it should do that, but this is my first suppressor, and my buddies griffin recce did not do this, also the flash hider turned a copperish color.

i plan on contacting silencerco tomorrow and see what they say, just thought id see if anyone has had a similar issue

i posted it on a firearm forum also, but i thought id check around here also

Attachments

• flash hider.jpg
    flash hider.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
  • can 1.jpg
    can 1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 60
  • can 2.jpg
    can 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 45

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Wonder if the anodizing didn't take to it. I've had my suppressor smoking hot several times and it still looks brand new.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
shot all rounds over the course of 45 min, maybe 15-20 rds of rapid fire twice with a cool down inbetween as thats when i swapped the suppressor from one rifle to the next. other wise it was just plinking around

no cover, wasnt sure if those void the warranty or not, so i stayed away

edit : only shot about 150 rds

Last edited:

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
talked to silencer co, they said tis due to me using the oven mit silencer shop gives you to take the hot suppressor off, the lining is silver and rubs off onto the suppressor.

soaking it in solvent for a day and see what happens, thats what silencer co said to do anyways

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
One of mine had a poor prep and the coating flaked off. Just recoated with duraheat 2.0. Have not shot it since recoating though

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
after 1.5 days of the suppressor sitting with solvent soaked patches wrapped around it, some brushing and wiping, its black again, not as nice looking as ti was, but oh well, at least it wasnt the coating