New shop

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Saturday my wife got me up early and took me to Dennys for breakfast. Said we needed to go look at wood because my son had saved some money from his last couple of checks and wanted to help me get some wood to start my shop. While at Home Depot pricing wood we get a call that he and his brothers were at home-locked the keys in the car and had no jackets. We drive home with me complaining about him always locking them in the car. Pulled into the yard to find my 3 kids, mother-in-law, brother and his friend and my friend John there with wood, tools, and supplies bought by slim. By Sunday night we had a skeleton framed and ready to finish attaching it to the house so I can put up walls. Since Slim paid for the materials I had to make it big enough for Blackie:D
shop2.jpgshop1.jpgshop3.jpg

While looking at these pics which came from my sons phone he apparently was moving because it looks crooked and its not i promise lol

Attachments

• shop2.jpg
    shop2.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 158
  • shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 120
  • shop3.jpg
    shop3.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 122

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
It was very cool. My wife said finally after 20+ years she was able to "suprise" me for once. I usually find out or guess before it happens but this year they got me. I still feel all warm and fuzzy about it. She said my oldest Christopher did all the calling, arranging and material handling for the whole thing. Now all I have to do is finish it.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
wow, they work quicker than Amish! Merry Christmas man!:thumb:

Dude, my back and shoulders still hurt! We were raised to be able to do just about anything for ourselves. My step-father always had us doing something that he thought would help us in the future. I now have a new respect for the construction workers building houses. That is some hard work! I guess like everything else if you do it daily it becomes natural but damn, when you get to a corner and its 3" off you start asking yourself if you really should be doing this:D The center beam2 2x8x20 times 2 were the hardest part imop to get right, centered and hung.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Oh yeah, they can be fun. These are 8x6, ridge beam is 20.5 ft off main floor.

Attachments

• 05210602.JPG
    05210602.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 87

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
I live in the county, outside the city limits and buearcratic bs:thumb: No permits, no general contractors, nothing needed at all. My wife was our "safety" inspector so we had to ask her to turn around when we climbed on top of the walls to hang the rafters:D You know, the top step of the ladder that says "do not use as step":rofl:

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
Looks good.

I have a few concerns if that really matter to ya...What roof & wind loading you guys get out there?

Any help is welcome. Not sure what you mean with the "loading" thing. We can get 70+ winds but not very often most of the time its 15-30 mph. The roof is a 30* pitch which is a little less then my house roof. I am open to suggestions as I don't want this thing coming down on me or what I am working on:thumb:

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
I think I figured out what your talking about. I also found out not to read books as they apparently lie! I have to replace my center beam with a minium of 2 14" lbls nailed and clamped together to support the the weight if I don't do a center post:mad: Its only about $60 woth of wood and I can get them in the 40ft length I need just have to tear off the top and start over:(. Thank you for pointing it out, I can't imagine what would have happened if it came down on me or my kids let alone a vehicle while I was under it.
Thats why I think of you guys as family, always looking out for each other, Thank you very much.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I think I figured out what your talking about. I also found out not to read books as they apparently lie! I have to replace my center beam with a minium of 2 14" lbls nailed and clamped together to support the the weight if I don't do a center post:mad: Its only about $60 woth of wood and I can get them in the 40ft length I need just have to tear off the top and start over:(. Thank you for pointing it out, I can't imagine what would have happened if it came down on me or my kids let alone a vehicle while I was under it.
Thats why I think of you guys as family, always looking out for each other, Thank you very much.

Judging by the pictures, the ridge beam doesnt look anything close to strong enough, then I dont see a post down to the header (which the header doesnt even look strong enough to carry that load...) is the door header a 2x or a LVL? Hard to tell in pics whats going on.

I dont wanna sound like a bad guy lol, just giving some life safety tips lol. Ill do what I can to help, I can calc/check the loads for ya if needed and see what its going to take. I think there is a couple other guys on here that can too.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
Judging by the pictures, the ridge beam doesnt look anything close to strong enough, then I dont see a post down to the header (which the header doesnt even look strong enough to carry that load...) is the door header a 2x or a LVL? Hard to tell in pics whats going on.

I dont wanna sound like a bad guy lol, just giving some life safety tips lol. Ill do what I can to help, I can calc/check the loads for ya if needed and see what its going to take. I think there is a couple other guys on here that can too.

Your right. I have a friend who builds houses, just sent him some pics and he said the same thing. Need bigger header and bigger ridge beam. I was also wrong on the price:Dthey are $7 a foot @ 40 ft x 2=$560 I don't have. I guess I can take off the roof and header and build a shit house for me to cry in.:rofl: He said he had a 16" header he would give me and get me his discount on the ridge beams I just have to wait and save up some money first. Thanks again, I am greatful for any advise I get.