New Project Truck

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
First off, it's not a Duramax and likely won't ever be. But it is a Chevy diesel.

I bought an '86 Military Chevy M1028, a 1 1/4 ton 4x4 Chevy with a 6.2 L and TH400.

Got a great deal on it and couldn't pass it up. It is directly from the military, never driven in civilian life and has 51k miles on it.

If you guys aren't familiar with these trucks, here's a run down.

Basically it's a K30 4x4, 6.2 (J-code), TH400, NP208, D60 (limited slip) up front, Corporate 14 bolt (Detroit Locker) out back, 4.56 gears, seriously beefed springs (9400 lb. GVW), hybrid 12/24 volt electrics to aid in cold starts and jumping military 24-volt stuff.

I should get approved to pick it up in the next month or so (background checks). Not sure of the plans for it yet. I went to check it out today and took some picks. Only a few minor things will need attention, it should be ready to rock after a quick service of all the normal stuff.

Here are some pics.

IMG_0410.jpg

*not sure what the catch bucket is for under the front, it was dry and the under side of the engine and front dif were fine*
IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

I already have someone that wants the truck in trade for his '82 VW Rabbit truck. Not sure what I'll do yet......

Here's the Wabbit!

IMG_0363.jpg

For "badass" factor, the chevy takes it easy (I'll lose the cap and go with bigger tires). But 4.56 gears and a TH400 are not highway friendly, that's where the rabbit wins for daily driver (plus you gotta love the stacks).

What do you guys think?

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Dude I actually want one of those Volkswagen Diesel Rabbit Pickups (Caddy) really bad. My grandpa had one a long time ago and loved it. I would like to find one for a DD, and keep the Duramax in a garage somewhere

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
nice score on the military truck! Just put a Gear Vendors overdrive unit and some bigger tires on it and you should have no trouble crusing on the highway.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
The Wrabbit has the different from norm factor. I would drive it just so people would ask dumb questions.

The K5 is one of those just want one for the hell of it types. Diesel is a plus, but for muddin' it is a bit front heavy with the 6.2. Would make a good crawler though. With all of that front weight it should hook up in the front. Would see about doing a multiple stick configuration to split the front out and make it FWD.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
nice score on the military truck! Just put a Gear Vendors overdrive unit and some bigger tires on it and you should have no trouble crusing on the highway.

Yeah, that would be a great option, but I'm not spending more than the truck is worth just for an OD.

I'll likely just leave the TH400 and put some bigger tires on it for now.

Well, and maybe a quick paint job. Good thing about these trucks is you don't need to make it fancy.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
have fun removing that old paint. I hear it's no fun and dangerous? or maybe it's just dangerous when applying it? can't remember now. It's not normal paint tho. Definitely DO paint it tho. Even if its out in the barn where you paint it.

It sure wouldn't be an even trade the cucv for the rabbit. Either would be cool. Its hard to beat the looks of the square body GM. The rabbit would just be something diff. to say you have.

Later

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i love those old military trucks. when i worked ofr dps we had a 85 k5 blazer with the 6.2 and i was raggin my boss left and right before i left to sell it to me. hes still suppose to hook me up in a surplus sale of dps to get one

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I'm happy however the deal goes down. Military truck or Wabbit. I think I'd rather have the rabbit truck, but I know I'd get tired of it faster than the k30.

Ultimately, I would like to get either and do a bit of resto, then sell and get an older crew cab truck to totally restore.

I've got my eye on a few mid 80's Chevy crew cabs and there is a '72 International crew cab that I would really like to have. Either of those would get the diesel treatment for sure.;)