New LLY

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
Well I had a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 and got rid of it with 11k miles on it because i couldn't stand the trans and it STRUGGLED towing my tractor, so I decided to sell it and I got a VW passat (for going back and forth to work) and a 2005 LLY with 220k Miles on it (no mods on it). This is my 3rd DMAX but anted to get in to another one. So I've gotten it back from getting some go fast goodies..

-Jamo 4" aluminized exhaust, no muffler
-S&B CAI
-S&B Turbo Mouthpiece
-Edge CTS2
-Edge EAS EGT Probe
-MBRP Down Pipe
-Air Dog II 165 4G
-PPE Ported Fuel Rail Fitting
-PPE Race Fuel Valve
-EFI DSP5 Tuning,(Duramax Tuner)
-EFI Trans Tuning
-Deviant Race Parts 5/8 Tranny lines
-Deviant Race Parts EGR Delete
-PPE Crank Case fittings
-PCV Reroute hose, fittings
-Deviant Race Parts PCV Billet plug
-MBRP T5051 4-5" Exhaust tip
-changed all fluids

I've got 5k to put in to it so I'm debating putting lift, wheels, and tires or just get some 285's on the PYO's and a leveling kit. This isnt my DD so I'm not sure how much I want to put in to her

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Are you more concerned with looks or performance?

You could do a cognito lift lowered down on 33’s with nice wheels and the ride would be great or build your tranny.

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
I'm not gonna go too crazy with this one since its more of a hunting truck, but needs to be reliable since my spot is about an hour away. I did ask my mechanic about a trans but got quoted about 6200 (DMAX Tuner trans with 6 speed conversion). I was thinking about getting the zone 3 inch (with the UCA) and some 33's, but not sure if I want to spend all of that. MAybe if I can find some used wheels, that may be a posibility

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Well I had a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 and got rid of it with 11k miles on it because i couldn't stand the trans and it STRUGGLED towing my tractor, so I decided to sell it and I got a VW passat (for going back and forth to work) and a 2005 LLY with 220k Miles on it (no mods on it). This is my 3rd DMAX but anted to get in to another one. So I've gotten it back from getting some go fast goodies..

-Jamo 4" aluminized exhaust, no muffler
-S&B CAI
-S&B Turbo Mouthpiece
-Edge CTS2
-Edge EAS EGT Probe
-MBRP Down Pipe
-Air Dog II 165 4G
-PPE Ported Fuel Rail Fitting
-PPE Race Fuel Valve
-EFI DSP5 Tuning,(Duramax Tuner)
-EFI Trans Tuning
-Deviant Race Parts 5/8 Tranny lines
-Deviant Race Parts EGR Delete
-PPE Crank Case fittings
-PCV Reroute hose, fittings
-Deviant Race Parts PCV Billet plug
-MBRP T5051 4-5" Exhaust tip
-changed all fluids

I've got 5k to put in to it so I'm debating putting lift, wheels, and tires or just get some 285's on the PYO's and a leveling kit. This isnt my DD so I'm not sure how much I want to put in to her

so did you already have this list of parts put on the truck? or are you asking for opinions on the list?

I have been very happy with my leveling keys and Cognito UCA's, had them about 3 years(ish) ive ran the keys at full lift with 295/75/16 and have them way lower now with 285/65/18's, they ride better cranked down(obviously) I did to the large fender mod to mine, its easy and makes more room

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
so did you already have this list of parts put on the truck? or are you asking for opinions on the list?

I have been very happy with my leveling keys and Cognito UCA's, had them about 3 years(ish) ive ran the keys at full lift with 295/75/16 and have them way lower now with 285/65/18's, they ride better cranked down(obviously) I did to the large fender mod to mine, its easy and makes more room

sorry I should have been more clear.. I just got those installed on the truck. Its amazing what all of that does to it. I think I'm torn between the zone 3 inch or the cognito one

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Nice thing about zone is it does drop the diff some but not sure on everything else. I think Corbin has ran their UCAs and liked them. I think you could do better on the trans. Don’t really need the 6th gear unless you’re traveling enough to justify the cost.

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
Nice thing about zone is it does drop the diff some but not sure on everything else. I think Corbin has ran their UCAs and liked them. I think you could do better on the trans. Don’t really need the 6th gear unless you’re traveling enough to justify the cost.
I will be driving this truck maybe twice a week, and sometimes less, so the built trans may be a little overboard (plus my next one will most likely be a LML that I WILL build), but for now, its kind of just a hunting/trailer pulling truck. Being that its not an everyday truck thats why I was wondering about the UCA's. Would it be better just to run a 33x12.50 tire and get a leveling kit with keys and bilstein 5100's

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Your next step should be a trans build IMO. While it may not slip now it is possible at 220k, especially if you drive it hard on the bigger tunes. My trans at 266k hates anything over 75hp in my LB7.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Your next step should be a trans build IMO.

I concur. I finally did the trans on Emma at 260k miles, but it should have been done right after I bought her at 198k and installed EFILive with a mild tune and limped it right away. You can either baby it along and hope it doesn't die in the woods or pay to play with non-stock HP levels and just have piece of mind with a well built trans.

I got my kit from Evan and have not looked back. I have had ATS, Suncoast, and Evans kit with his torque converter, and I like Evan's kit the best. I just wish I lived in the lower 48 so I could just take my truck to a place I trusted to have the work done instead of doing it myself.

You don't say where you live, but if you can't do it yourself, take it to one of the site vendors instead of "Billy's trans shop and $hit". Local shops can install the parts, but do not understand how these things work, it can be a recipe for disaster....

Oh, and add the lift pump.

Just my thoughts.... enjoy.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Trans build, and a lift pump.

I concur. I finally did the trans on Emma at 260k miles, but it should have been done right after I bought her at 198k and installed EFILive with a mild tune and limped it right away. You can either baby it along and hope it doesn't die in the woods or pay to play with non-stock HP levels and just have piece of mind with a well built trans.

I got my kit from Evan and have not looked back. I have had ATS, Suncoast, and Evans kit with his torque converter, and I like Evan's kit the best. I just wish I lived in the lower 48 so I could just take my truck to a place I trusted to have the work done instead of doing it myself.

You don't say where you live, but if you can't do it yourself, take it to one of the site vendors instead of "Billy's trans shop and $hit". Local shops can install the parts, but do not understand how these things work, it can be a recipe for disaster....

Oh, and add the lift pump.

Just my thoughts.... enjoy.

His initial post says he just had an AirDog 2 4G 165 put on with everything else.

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
well just an update, I saw an LLY built trans for sale near me. Guy said that it has roughly 200 miles on it. I asked why he took it out, and he said some electrical issues ruined his truck and he's just trying to recoup some money. I think he said that the builder had a warranty for a year from the invoice (from December). The kicker is he's asking 2k for it. If I do that, could I sell my trans to some other builders or am I just out? I'll have to find more specifics on the trans but what do yall think?

contenderv07

Feb 17, 2010
thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I did have a funny feeling about it but wasn't sure. I've got the invoice from the shop that built it, but haven't gotten in touch with the mechanic to see what happened

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Do the dilly and see if it's worth while, I've found tons of deals by following up on them...:thumb:

Remember.... It's a trans from a 15 year old truck guys...