New Here! LB7 Fuel System Questions large project

savagemushroom

May 19, 2023
Grand Junction CO
New to the Forum, but im searching for fuel system related questions and im coming up short. I have a late 2003 LB7 with 215k miles, i just started white smoke and has a single of black smoke on start up. i have not checked balance rates but im fairly certain its injector issues. I have decided to change the injectors, but im wondering if it would be ideal to change out the high pressure fuel lines and the cp3 as well. If so what are the best or top of the line cp3 and fuel lines? Also if i was wanting more power how much over can i go on injectors and be totally safe and is there an upgraded cp3 that will handle more upgrades in the future? is there anything else i should do at this time if im doing this much work at once? im looking for best parts and quality not really worried about remans and/or cost. if i wanted to add twins later... what parts should i do with this repair/project?

thanks!

2003 LB7

Attachments

• Duramax 1.jpg
    Duramax 1.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Duramax 2.jpg
    Duramax 2.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Duramax 3.jpg
    Duramax 3.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 6

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Welcome

With the milage on the transmission, that will be your weakest link. I'd keep it at 50 or so HP at the most until you get it built.

If you are planning on compound turbos down the road, Id go Sac100 injectors. If that is going to be a while from now then stick with Sac45. But this is mostly based on how much HP you want

If you pull the heads to do studs, gaskets, etc then get the screw in cups. Might be worth doing even if you aren't pulling them. Otherwise reseal all the cups

A CP3 with that milage is a hit or miss on if it's getting weak or not. Depending on what your power goals are with compounds you can upgrade to a 12 or 14mm CP3 now with no real drawbacks other than price. But you won't have to buy twice so might be cheaper in the long run

Personally I don't change high pressure lines unless, after cleaning them up after taking them off shows there is pitting or excessive corrosion or something that will make me question the reliability. Others change them every time, some reuse the once or twice. It's really up to you and how comfortable you are with inspecting them.

Make sure to do a compression test to rule that out. Though it is unusual on a stock tune to have cracked pistons or bent rods. And LB7s are known for their shorter lives injectors (before sac injectors became available)

Others will chime in for additional supporting mods for compound turbos

Reactions: savagemushroom

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
New to the Forum, but im searching for fuel system related questions and im coming up short. I have a late 2003 LB7 with 215k miles, i just started white smoke and has a single of black smoke on start up. i have not checked balance rates but im fairly certain its injector issues. I have decided to change the injectors, but im wondering if it would be ideal to change out the high pressure fuel lines and the cp3 as well. If so what are the best or top of the line cp3 and fuel lines? Also if i was wanting more power how much over can i go on injectors and be totally safe and is there an upgraded cp3 that will handle more upgrades in the future? is there anything else i should do at this time if im doing this much work at once? im looking for best parts and quality not really worried about remans and/or cost. if i wanted to add twins later... what parts should i do with this repair/project?

thanks!

2003 LB7

Your injector size will depend on your overall goals. What is your overall goal for the truck and how do you use it? What elevation do you live at? What other mods are done to the truck? IE is the trans built etc? If not, the trans is going to be your next major weak link.

Personally I change lines as with where I live/where my shop is we have major corrosion issues due to the salt used in winter. If your lines appear to be in pristine condition post cleaning (ultrasonic works best). I know many people who do reuse them with great success in other areas of the country but the key is making sure they're clean. Sometimes you simply can't get them clean or they have some major pitting/damage to the sealing surface from a previous removal.

As for injector size, you can safely run a 100% or 150% on a stock turbo/trans and have zero issues AS LONG AS the tune is setup for that combination. Personally I usually recommend Dynomite Diesel, Exergy, S&S, or Flux for injectors. I personally tend to stick to Dynomite and Exergy as I have a better business relationship with them myself. Personally I run SAC45% up to 625-650whp, 100% up to ~850-900whp, and 150% up to around 1100whp to help bring pulsewidth down.

With that mileage, as Jason pointed out, the CP3 may not be up to the task. With that mileage I usually suggest replacing the pump and injectors as a pair. If your goals are near/at 1000-1100whp a 12mm CP3 would be ideal. You can also run a 14mm but they aren't my usual go to for a street truck in that HP as they can be a bit finicky to get dialed in at low fuel demand.

For pumps I tend to stick to Dynomite/Fleece, Exergy, and S&S. I've used a few of the Industrial Injection reman pumps and they've been solid but I've used Exergy pumps more than any other brand have never once had an issue. The same can be said about S&S and Dynomite/Fleece. Dynomite/Fleece, BD, Industrial etc don't quite make the same fuel volume per size as Exergy and S&S so keep that in mind as they're a 1000whp pump whereas I've had Exergy/S&S go just a tick over 1100whp.

I would be more than happy to help get you squared away on a fuel system package or help answer any questions you may have or even help you plan out your build.

Reactions: 2004LB7