New Guy in MI

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
Hi everyone, I came here because I found a quick video from Trent Nell on a true parallel turbo for a Duramax and am looking for more info.

I have an ‘01 Crew Cab Long Box Chevy with the LB7/ZF6 powertrain and it’s 2 wheel drive. It came from Norman, OK and TX 2 years ago now and I recently had a head gasket failure. I’ve secured another rust free Duramax/Allison truck in TX and am headed next week to grab it, according to my plans.

We use ”Norman” to haul our garden tractors and camper consecutively to shows from PA to WI.

Hopefully I can someday be an influence to others here, but for now I’m still learning.

Source: https://youtu.be/R6tXkTrUBYs

Attachments

• 016E636D-0569-424D-A7CB-11A24A091660.jpeg
    016E636D-0569-424D-A7CB-11A24A091660.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
@slowlml Thanks for the reply! I found a thread from google but didn’t see the pictures that people were responding to. I hope they are around somewhere. I wonder if just 4 cylinders per turbo would be enough to spool them up?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
@slowlml Thanks for the reply! I found a thread from google but didn’t see the pictures that people were responding to. I hope they are around somewhere. I wonder if just 4 cylinders per turbo would be enough to spool them up?

It is if you size them properly. IMO it's more of a pain than it's worth vs what we already have and what is already proven. That isn't to discourage you at all, just more so my opinion.

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
I agree with brad. With the drop in ihi we have available now, several companies making quality compound kits to work with stock turbos in the valley or upgraded, and single kits i think you are better off going one of those routes. Cheaper, easier, and readily available. Unless there is a specific reason you want a parallel setup or just to be different. Would be cool to see it done again though.

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
Thanks guys!

Honestly, having two stock turbos made me wonder how easy it is to do. The truck hauls great in stock trim and I’ll be adding a lift pump too, along with head studs.

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
I should add. I didn’t mean easy as in drop it under the hood and see how it sticks. I understand there is a ton of r&d and plumbing work to make it work right. I am an experienced MIG/TIG/ARC welder and have many fabrication tools in house. I know how quick and easy is never actually that.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks guys!

Honestly, having two stock turbos made me wonder how easy it is to do. The truck hauls great in stock trim and I’ll be adding a lift pump too, along with head studs.
I should add. I didn’t mean easy as in drop it under the hood and see how it sticks. I understand there is a ton of r&d and plumbing work to make it work right. I am an experienced MIG/TIG/ARC welder and have many fabrication tools in house. I know how quick and easy is never actually that.

Stock turbos would be far too large for this effort as well as have an extremely bulky/odd mounting foot. I've seen one truck using 2x borg warner S200 turbos.

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
I’d like to mention here that I have secured a truck in Dallas, TX and am heading out Sunday to pick it up. ‘01 2500HD 2wd Duramax/Allison with a blown trans.. reverse only. That’ll be a long ride home 1000 miles backwards!

Attachments

• 75DA75AC-713B-464F-BD4B-3F62208122EA.jpeg
    75DA75AC-713B-464F-BD4B-3F62208122EA.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 8

PullStart

Jun 30, 2020
Middleville, MI
@Bdsankey I’m south of Grand Rapids just a tickle. I am planning to use the new truck for parts then part the rest out. I need just the engine and fuel system for the most part, the transmission will not bother me. Thanks!