New garret gtx4088 - sema

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Garret says the new gtx4088 will be replacing the gt4094r as their maps are identical and the 4088 spools quicker.
Looks like it will be a nice turbo for twins.

y9yremud.jpg
yqybe4un.jpg
a5ytyrys.jpg
3a2y2apy.jpg

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
Dang if I had known Santa was getting gift ideas at the Sema show I would have worked a lot harder at staying off the naughty list:(

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I smell marketing hype at it's best...

Ok guys, please explain to me how you are going to make 800Hp with a stock lly compressor wheel made out of billet instead of cast??? That is exactly what your looking at right there, this is not new technology at all. I have attached 2 pictures of the stock lly billet wheel that I got out of GM's R&D test lab from back in the day when the LLy was being tested before it went into production. Lol, I have 2 of these from turbos I got from there. Most I have ever seen from any lly stock turbo wheel is right at 600hp and I'm not the only one. So where are they getting all this extra hp??? It sure as hell isn't the billet stock LLy compressor wheel and the 68mm turbine seems a bit small also. It took me a
72mm billet compressor on the 4094vgt turbo to get above 800hp so I can't see how they can claim 800hp on a 63mm turbo? Food for thought guys, carry on...

Attachments

• GTXwheel.jpg
    GTXwheel.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 131
  • GTX2.jpg
    GTX2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 124

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Ok guys, please explain to me how you are going to make 800Hp with a stock lly compressor wheel made out of billet instead of cast??? That is exactly what your looking at right there, this is not new technology at all. I have attached 2 pictures of the stock lly billet wheel that I got out of GM's R&D test lab from back in the day when the LLy was being tested before it went into production. Lol, I have 2 of these from turbos I got from there. Most I have ever seen from any lly stock turbo wheel is right at 600hp and I'm not the only one. So where are they getting all this extra hp??? It sure as hell isn't the billet stock LLy compressor wheel and the 68mm turbine seems a bit small also. It took me a
72mm billet compressor on the 4094vgt turbo to get above 800hp so I can't see how they can claim 800hp on a 63mm turbo? Food for thought guys, carry on...

Vgt vs fixed
ball bearing vs journal
Larger turbine wheel and ar on fixed turbo is where the real difference is

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com

Thanks I wanted to know what made it soo special because everything labeled gtx cost 4 times more then it should Imo

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Vgt vs fixed
ball bearing vs journal
Larger turbine wheel and ar on fixed turbo is where the real difference is

VGT vs fixed- Ok that's a whole nother argument

ball vs journal- This only applies if you are spinning it the moon(rpm) to make the difference in flow

Larger turbine wheel and a/r on fixed where the difference is- This is where I would normally agree with ya but the turbo picture and plaque they provided there at Sema says that it has a GT35 series turbine wheel in it which is way smaller than anything we currently use in the diesel market. The GT3788R turbo has a 66.4/72.5mm turbine which is the same size as a stock LLy turbine. The GT3788R is only rated at 675hp in the book. The most I have ever seen out of that combo is mid 650hp range on average. This GTX4088R has same size comp wheel but a smaller turbine so please explain how it's worth 150hp? The 68mm turbine is maxed at 32lb/min flow rate. The GT3788R is 34lb/min and the GT4088R is 36lb/min. Do you see where I'm going with this Mikey? The math doesn't add up here... Please buy one and prove me wrong here but you can't make that much power with a 63.5mm turbo, it took a 77mm turbine for me to see
700hp out of a Batmo 63.5mm wheel. What's the highest HP anyone has made with PPE's GT4088R kit?

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
VGT vs fixed- Ok that's a whole nother argument

ball vs journal- This only applies if you are spinning it the moon(rpm) to make the difference in flow

Larger turbine wheel and a/r on fixed where the difference is- This is where I would normally agree with ya but the turbo picture and plaque they provided there at Sema says that it has a GT35 series turbine wheel in it which is way smaller than anything we currently use in the diesel market. The GT3788R turbo has a 66.4/72.5mm turbine which is the same size as a stock LLy turbine. The GT3788R is only rated at 675hp in the book. The most I have ever seen out of that combo is mid 650hp range on average. This GTX4088R has same size comp wheel but a smaller turbine so please explain how it's worth 150hp? The 68mm turbine is maxed at 32lb/min flow rate. The GT3788R is 34lb/min and the GT4088R is 36lb/min. Do you see where I'm going with this Mikey? The math doesn't add up here... Please buy one and prove me wrong here but you can't make that much power with a 63.5mm turbo, it took a 77mm turbine for me to see
700hp out of a Batmo 63.5mm wheel. What's the highest HP anyone has made with PPE's GT4088R kit?

Nobody's really arguing against you on the 800hp claim... I'd say the wee size turbine and high power estimate are pandering to the WRX and Lancer Evo crowd more than anything, which makes them that much more outlandish since a spark ignition engine will never see the peak of that map.

SEMA=advertising not necessarily backed by science.

VGT turbos suck for performance lol

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I agree Magnus on the gasser thing forsure, if you look at all the other chargers they make alot more power per size on the gassers. But mark knows his shit no doubt about that. If he says they won't perform like that on duramax I gotta believe him ;)

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Ok so we buy a gtx4088 and rob the compressor wheel, a core lly front cover set to put it in, and the back half of a gt4094avnt turbo.

If Garrrett won't sell the wheel seperate go to alibaba.com hahahah