New forum member and new LLY Owner have some questions

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
Good morning everyone. I just joined this forum because I bought my first Duramax yesterday. It is a 2005 Crew Cab 4x4. I did a 30 minute test drive and everything went very well. After the purchase, I filled the truck up with fuel at the best station in town that was recommended by the dealer. I let the truck idle for about 2-3 minutes after filling it before I left and when I pulled out into the road, it hesitated like it didn't want to take off. About 5 seconds later, a large cloud of black smoke came out the tail pipe and it accelerated hard after that. I drove the truck for an hour after that on the hwy at 70 mph and had no issues. I got off the highway, parked and left it idling for about ten minutes to pick up some stanadyne injector cleaner at the local tractor supply. I put 8 oz in the full tank of fuel, and I pulled out in the road again after that and the truck did it worse this time. It took about 10 seconds for it to really pick up. From what I've seen so far this only happens when it idles for an extended period of time. Any ideas of what it could be? The exhaust looks clean when it's idling, I don't see any black smoke.

The dealer did say that they put a new fuel filter on it before I purchased it. The truck is 100% stock with 90K miles. Thanks for the help in advance!

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Welcome!! :thumb::thumb:

As for the hesitation and black smoking...anything I say is speculation. Do you have access to a code reader? If so, let us know if there are any codes. That is where I always start with something like this.

You can have codes in the computer which will not light up anything on the dash.

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
Is this your first diesel?

It's my first diesel truck. I drove a 2000 VW Jetta TDI for 3 years before I bought this truck. From that car I understand that fuel filter changes are absolutely critical to be done on time and with a high quality filter. My truck currently has an AC Delco filter on it that the dealership installed right before I purchased it.

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
I would suspect sticking vanes in the turbo. Need a scan tool to ck for codes and watch vane position.

I've got a Craftsman OBDII scanner that I can hook up to the truck when I get home to see what codes I can pull. Will that work or will I need a Tech 2 tool like what the dealerships have?

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
Welcome!! :thumb::thumb:

As for the hesitation and black smoking...anything I say is speculation. Do you have access to a code reader? If so, let us know if there are any codes. That is where I always start with something like this.

You can have codes in the computer which will not light up anything on the dash.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll check the codes tonight after work and let you all know what I find.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
It’s either the vanes sticking in the turbo, or the EGR valve is malfunctioning. (popping open or sticking open)

My guess is an EGR issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
It’s either the vanes sticking in the turbo, or the EGR valve is malfunctioning. (popping open or sticking open)

My guess is an EGR issue.

Have you seen his happen and not set a CEL? Just curious :D

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Yes. Ive seen a blocker plate fix a truck that had similar symptoms to the OP and that truck set no codes, and the EGR even showed as being fully closed on my tech 2. Not sure what was going on as I never got a chance to investigate further. Customer needed the truck back and was happy with the blocker plate.

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
Is any tuning required to do EGR delete if the EGR turns out to be the problem? I'm a novice to this stuff so forgive my ingnorance.

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
So, I hooked up my obd2 scanner and didn't get any codes when I checked it.

Attachments

• B1DB3F5B-3DAB-4F4F-98A8-6BFEFC6160FE.jpg
    B1DB3F5B-3DAB-4F4F-98A8-6BFEFC6160FE.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 25

67ss&99ss

Aug 3, 2018
Georgia
The truck did it again today but I did not leave it idling for an extended period. I drove about 45 minutes, then shut it off for 5 minutes. I started it back up and it was low on power and rolling smoke until I matted it and it cleared up. The remaining 60 miles I drove everything was great. no problem. I'm wondering if something is heat soaking when it's idling or shut off for a few minutes and it's allowing something not to function correctly?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
But a $10 egr blocker plate. Throw it in and if that fixes it you found your issue. You’ll have a CEL on but if that does fix it throw in a fingerstick and you’re set