New drive, boost, and pyro gauges

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
my sending unit on my drive pressure guage took a dump. there was so much moisture in it.:mad: i will be getting another sending unit but i will plumb in a filter or something. is the 50' ft coil of copper necessary? i used 2' of 1/4" , i was worried that with all the engine movement making the copper flex would damage the copper line. my set up is mounted entirely on the engine.

RoboF16

Dec 15, 2011
is the 50' ft coil of copper necessary?
I can't remember how many feet of copper is in mine but I suspect it's more than is needed. I never took the trouble to check the temp at different points along the line. IMO, the filter is a "must have." :thumb:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
my sending unit on my drive pressure guage took a dump. there was so much moisture in it.:mad: i will be getting another sending unit but i will plumb in a filter or something. is the 50' ft coil of copper necessary? i used 2' of 1/4" , i was worried that with all the engine movement making the copper flex would damage the copper line. my set up is mounted entirely on the engine.

I just used a an 8" piece of brake line straight off my header and it's worked fine for the last 2 years. My truck barries the 1600 degree pyro when pulling so I'm sure it will be fine on a daily driver. Now that I think about it it might only be a 6" piece, I can't quite remember but I bought it off the shelf at my auto parts places with the right end and everything.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I used 5' of 1/4" copper. I wished I would have done at least six foot though.

Is there really not a fuse you can tap into for the "dimmer?" On PPE's instructions it has one but the LLY's must not have that fuse.:confused:

Ya , EVERYBODY that I read online, including Kennedy, gives the fuse tap instructions for the 04.5 and earlier. I should have called John, I can do that after the new year. He'll help I'm sure of it.

There is no dimmer fuse on my truck. All the instructions that I read said to tap into accy fuse. The only problem is obvious: the LED is on all the time, and I can't dim with the dash lights.

I like tacos.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Autometer sells a dimmer switch specifically for LED backlit gauges. Wiring LED gauges to the vehicles dimmer switch won't dim the LED lights in the gauges much at all IIRC.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Autometer sells a dimmer switch specifically for LED backlit gauges. Wiring LED gauges to the vehicles dimmer switch won't dim the LED lights in the gauges much at all IIRC.

I'm not so sure about that but I know Autometer sells that dimmer switch. My PPE gauges dim correctly and they are wired into my OEM dimmer switch. All my interior lights are replaced with LED's and they all dim correctly as well.

Going to put a drive pressure gauge in my next truck without a doubt. Clean DP setup IMO

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've got Autometer Cobalt gauges (LED) wired into the dimmer switch of my wife's truck, and yes, they dim some but not like the dash/gauge cluster lights. They dim at a different rate IIRC but idk much about resistors & that sorta stuff to remember why. My SPA gauge (also LED) is wired to the dimmer & no bueno.

Cornell, when you did the LED lights in the dash & cluster, did you have to wire in resistors or use special resistors for the voltages coming to the factory bulbs? I've read that procedure but it's be so long I can't remember how to do it. But if resistors or resisted LED were used, then maybe that's why yours dim properly with the factory dimmer?