new cali law

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
Actually, the "Move Over" law has been in effect for three years, since 2007 in California . And it applies only when a police car, fire truck, ambulance is pulled over with its lights flashing.
Click on the move over America hyper link below.

FYI: GOOD THING TO KNOW:

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to
change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow
down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii, Maryland, New York and D.C. has this law.

In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010. http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane.
The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a

ticket. He had never heard of the law.

It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side
of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.
The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license
and a mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Like to see them show that it was safe for him to change lanes in time atleast he slowed down as it states in the law. I think it can be won in court and with that fine and points and having to show up to court I would fight it hard.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thats been the law here in Michigan for quite a few years now. Ours extends to road workers, too. Its just common courtesy.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
ct just passed the move over law as well for police, fire, dot, etc

kinda nice i think. i have had way too many close calls on the highway from idiots who dont want to give me room to do my job.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Thats been the law here in Michigan for quite a few years now. Ours extends to road workers, too. Its just common courtesy.

Same as Alberta. Maybe even Canada.

The move over when emergency vehicles come up behind you has been the law in Canada since before I was born.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
Yep IN has a similar law. As someone who works in traffic often, I love it. We actually had a worker killed last week in one of our work zones by a 17 year old girl hugging the cones going 70 in a 45. I've been with my company 5 years and it was the 6th person killed in a work zone in that period of time. Until it's you on the side of the road with cars whizzing by, you can never appreciate this law fully. I totally respect any one who works in or around traffic and feel we all deserve to be protected by laws like this.
People seem to get ate up with the dumb ass disease when they get in work zones and drive way to fast and feel they don't need to follow barricades or signs.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
$754 :eek::screwy:

Yeah really it should be much more. I'd say $1000 minimum would get people thinking about giving us some room. Ever been hit by a mirror on a vehicle going 50+? it sucks! A buddy got clipped in the elbow and it seperates his shoulder and broke his arm in several places by a truck that didn't appear to be going overly fast, but was crowding us pretty good. You'd be amazed how many people think it's amusing to see how close to us they can get in what I guess is an attempt to "scare" us.

Radio

Aug 14, 2009
Gillette, WY
:yup: I feel for you guys. They got signs posted and the highways here that say the law. I always get over if possible and if there is someone in the other lane i will slow way down and move over as much as possible without running the other guy off the road.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I use to haul black top on the side of a 4 lane HWY it does suck getting in and out of the truck with others flying by.But in the case above states slow down by 25 mph if not safe to move over if these 2 cops had someone pulled over how do they know for a fact that it was safe for him to change lanes in time and not change in a unsafe manner that could of been more unsafe to others.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
After you get used to the law Henry, its simply just a matter of paying attention to where you're going. If you cant get over, the law states that you are supposed to slow down and safely pass the officer/tow truck/road workers.
There will always be imbeciles who who wont get over simply because they consider driving their vehicle to be secondary to texting/talking/screwing around, or those who think they are more important than anything else.

Last edited:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
After you get used to the law Henry, its simply just a matter of paying attention to where you're going. If you cant get over, the law states that you are supposed to slow down and safely pass the officer/tow truck/road workers.
There will always be imbeciles who who wont get over simply because they consider driving their vehicle to be secondary to texting/talking/screwing around, or those who think they are more important than anything else.

I have always moved over even when it was not the law in for Md.On the drive to Kansas you see the work zone are posted hit a worker go to jail and a 10k fine. But like you said Tom some dont care I carry a CDL so I make sure I get over anytime I can to give more room even at on ramps for cars getting on the HWY.

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
I have no problem with the state law. the problem i have is that no one has heard of it! the state has not posted, advertise, or made any attempt of making the public aware of it? all of the B.S laws like cell phone and headlights with windshield wipers law , that was law you heard before they where put into effect. you would think something with a steep crippling fine and 3 point penalty!

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Even if it's promoted on TV a lot of younger drivers that don't watch the stations it's announced on are in the dark. Parents need to make sure the younger ones realize it's a law now and serious business.