Never again

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Just venting so stop reading if you want

Just returned to vista California from San Antonio Texas in my wife's 2012 suburban towing a uhual auto transport trailer with my new to me 1985 chevy c10 Scottsdale. Never again will I tow anything without my duramax. Didn't plan to get the truck so took the suburban to Texas to visit family got the truck and figured y not. Got on the road Friday morning couldn't keep the suburban at the speed limit except down hill(80). In the mountains between AZ and CA was the worst. Not only do I not know what to hot for a temp is on the trans but it was 100 degrees and I felt trans temps would get to high so I slowed down and still temps climbed all in all I will never tow anything without the duramax ever again. 20 mph sucks. In the duramax I could have gone way faster and had a better trip. Ooh and average economy hand calculated was 10 for the trip. In the mountains 7
Btw. What is to hot for trans temps on the suburban.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Im with you on that. I towed 7k lbs with a 06 F150 5.4 today and it would not stop downshifting, upshifting, unlocking and relocking the converter. :mad:

At that point in time I really appreciated what a stock duramax, yet alone diesel can do...

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
lol I actually loaned my buddy my truck a few weeks ago and he about shit. I didn't think I was ever going to hear about how nice the truck towed. He had probably 7-8k total behind the truck.

I've towed with 5.7's, 6.5L diesels one tons, and now two different duramax's and I wouldn't go back for anything. even in stock form the torque is unbeatable, the trans breaking is a life saver, and the comfort of the trucks is insane. These new diesels are amazing.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I've towed with 5.7's, 6.5L diesels one tons, and now two different duramax's and I wouldn't go back for anything. even in stock form the torque is unbeatable, the trans breaking is a life saver, and the comfort of the trucks is insane. These new diesels are amazing.
I couldnt agree more.Theres a guy on here i dont think he says very much but his name says it all ....nevergasagain :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I got a buddy of mine into a lbz about 8 months ago. He loves the thing when ever he tows his wheelin rig. He use to use a 08 1500 with the 5.3. He would hit 230-240* coolant temps in a heart beat with trans temps not far behind over any little here in az in the summer. Now he flat hauls ass every where we go when towing cause it won't get hot lol.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I had a 07' classic 1500hd cc/sb with the LQ4 6.0L and 4L80E with 4.10 gears. I had it set up pretty good, ported heads, true duals and long tubes, and even a d1sc procharger and a 3 row air 2 air c.a.c and iirc 42 or 36lb/hr injectors, it was pretty fun for what it was, but that thing hated to pull 10k. 6,500lbs was the top of its comfort zone when it came to towing up mountains, and with 10k on it about all it could pull was 45mph up Stevens pass in 3rd gear, no more, and it got damn hot doing it, engine fan roaring. It did fine on flat ground, and had pretty good power, but it wasn't what a dmax is, not even close, and hills? Forget about it. Fuel economy, what's that? Not towing it would get 11mpg, towing maybe 8 or so.

It could not even come close to the potential of my stock LBZ. It's not even plausible to me to compare the two, I no longer look at a gas powered trucks as a "real" truck, for lack of a better explanation, they seem more like a toy to me now, I don't expect much out of a gas powered rig anymore, I got spoiled by diesel and I too will never go back to gas. I know that diesels are more expensive, heavier, louder and seemingly more complicated to work on, but they are easier to tune and when tuned they work in a broader range, and with more than 1000lb ft of tq on tap, and the ability to tow just about any dang thing you could ever want, it makes it all pretty worth while:thumb:

especially when you're not towing:D