LB7: Needing to replace injectors on an '03

BARBER

Farm Truck
Jul 17, 2013
Owanka, SD
This is my first tech question on here and bear with me I'm still a newb but have been doing a lot of reading, researching, and few phone calls so far. Picked up a 03 this summer that currently has 168k on it in complete stock form. Previous owner traded it for a half ton. When I first picked it up, it had a slight haze of white/blue smoke coming out of it and has grown to get worse. Currently, it smokes fairly decently, but not like it's on fire. My mileage since owning has been around 16-17 with daily and towing miles. Secondly, and I haven't taken the time to run the VIN to find out exactly when they were changed out, but I was told the injectors were replaced under warranty around the 50-60k mark.

So since these injectors have around 110k or so miles on them, I figured it would be the wisest choice to go ahead and drop in all new ones, along with all the proper O rings, gaskets, etc., including new fuel lines. I do intend on going bigger. Thinking no more than 30% over. At first I was looking at Industrial 15 or 20% overs, until I read the injector poll thread on here and read about (if I remember right) just one guy having good luck with their injectors. I read a lot of good info about Big Dippers and So Cal's injectors, along with Exergys too. I see Duramax Tuner has 30% exergys for a nice price with only a $800 core charge. I think I may go with those. Any input on yay or nay on the Exergys or Industrials??

It should be noted I do have an AirDog lift pump ready to go on, plan on doing a CAT filter adapter, have gauges installed, and also will have it EFI Live tuned after the injector install is all buttoned up. Also, future mods, I plan on doing a built trans. Truck has 35k on a rebuilt unit with a billet convertor. Thats all I know. Might look into more boost and/or head studs. I've also looked into a bigger CP3 as well to feed the bigger injectors.

If I could get some additional knowledge and input regarding everything that would be great! Thanks.

BARBER

Farm Truck
Jul 17, 2013
Owanka, SD
Thanks guys. I'd really like to dig a little deeper and do head studs at the same time but don't think my budget will allow it. Next I probably should plan out some simple upgrades to my CP3.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Someone else needs to chime in but I am not sure studs will save the old style head gasket if it wants to let go.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
For the sake of god don't go with II's injectors. You'll be very pleased with Exergy's! I believe Exergy sells them for the same price through all of there vendors, so you should choose one that's a vendor on this site.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
Go bigger than 30% and adjust accordingly in the tune. At least go 60%.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
Yup. Mark @ Danville is running 100% over and his starts right up in the cold.

BARBER

Farm Truck
Jul 17, 2013
Owanka, SD
OK thanks. A buddy claims his LB7 with 15% over starts hard in the cold winter months.

I've read something about billet injector hold downs from So Cal Diesel...what are the advantages of them?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
OK thanks. A buddy claims his LB7 with 15% over starts hard in the cold winter months.

I've read something about billet injector hold downs from So Cal Diesel...what are the advantages of them?

They are for high performance applications, you shouldn't need them.

Also industrials injectors are manufactured using the same process as Exergy's. Industrial has fixed their injectors over the years, the old ones were crap but they hired a guy that used to work at DDP and now he is in charge of their injectors.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
They are for high performance applications, you shouldn't need them.

Also industrials injectors are manufactured using the same process as Exergy's. Industrial has fixed their injectors over the years, the old ones were crap but they hired a guy that used to work at DDP and now he is in charge of their injectors.

Good luck with that. II may use the same "process" as Exergy, but nothing will fix their lack of quality control. Might as well go with the a good company from the start IMO.