Question: Need welding advice...

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I got some scarp AL from Lowes and a new stainless brush last night to practice with. I wish I had a TIG. From everything I understand they have so much more control over the heat. I'll be using a Lincoln MIG though.

If you have a foot pedal which almost all do.

The first one I used didnt have a foot pedal, what a PITA.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Seems like a pedal would be easier than the finger wheel on the torch. Well except for those of us with lead right feet. :)

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Ok so attempts at MIG welding aluminum thus far have met with total failure. I've managed to make several rat's nests out of the wire so I know it's pushing the wire fine, but the wire itself melts too dang fast. As soon as I touch a piece of scrap aluminum with it, there goes my entire stick-out. The weld isn't penetrating at all with the welder on it's highest setting. I've done almost 1/4" steel with this thing and can't figure out what's up. Should I be preheating the aluminum? Very frustrating.:mad:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Is there any real downfall to making I/C pipes out of steel? Mild or stainless? I'm very comfortable welding both of those...

03Dmax90

Apr 28, 2010
Ok so attempts at MIG welding aluminum thus far have met with total failure. I've managed to make several rat's nests out of the wire so I know it's pushing the wire fine, but the wire itself melts too dang fast. As soon as I touch a piece of scrap aluminum with it, there goes my entire stick-out. The weld isn't penetrating at all with the welder on it's highest setting. I've done almost 1/4" steel with this thing and can't figure out what's up. Should I be preheating the aluminum? Very frustrating.:mad:

Turn down your volts to about 22.2 and put the wire speed on the gun to just over 3 and tell me how it works. Play with it, listen to the bead and adjust accordingly.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I wish I could do that with my MIG. It's only got 4 settings, A-D, and the wire speed is 1-10. Per Lincoln the setting for 12ga aluminum is D-9. I'm not even getting a bead at all. All I get is a little ball of aluminum on top of my piece of scrap metal. Kinda like when welding steel and you have a bad ground.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
There really isnt a Downfall to making IC pipes out of stainless, mild steel or aluminized steel IMO. Many people go this route. And I know Banks pipes are steel.

Last edited:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Gotcha. I'll be making them out of steel then. I'll probably just sell the aluminum pipe kit if anyone's interested in tackling that pain in the butt. Anyone know where I can get a flange for the Y bridge made of steel? If not I'll just make one.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
It may not be a bad idea to try pre heating it. obvisouly you dont wana get it super hot cause its much harder to tell when itll give it. you could send it to me and ill weld it:thumb:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Thanks bevi, but shipping across the country ,might cost me more than the pipe did haha. Maybe if I was still in VA...

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
welding class i just took i was told you have to push with mig aluminum, cant pull it or it comes out like shit

03Dmax90

Apr 28, 2010
welding class i just took i was told you have to push with mig aluminum, cant pull it or it comes out like shit

pushing only makes it flatter and less penetration, i will agree pushing is nicer for overhead aluminum but pulling is better in every aspect. Ive built serveral aluminum sled decks and headache racks and i always pull and it turns out good.

VeeAte

going for 10s
Dec 7, 2010
ocean springs, ms
Everyone is gonna have a technique that works better for them in each position, myself, if it is a butt with a bevel in it i push the root pass and pull on the cap. And you can use 100% argon or 75/25 argon/helium when welding mig aluminum. Like others have said, wire wheeling it is a must. I would just make it out of thin mild steel pipe.

Last edited: