Need some help and sorry about the long post. Just providing all info

715Hunter

Jul 28, 2022
Missouri
This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to throw my experience in here.
We tow quite heavy with an LLY regularly, grossing as much as 48k. Usually 30-35k behind the truck, which is 11k by itself as it's set up. We have all PPE exhaust piping, LBZ Intake horn, cold air intake, Mishimoto charge air cooler, and 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust. We could easily hit 1600 EGT on a 400 HP tune, and had to keep out of the throttle to prevent overheating. Swapped a Stealth 64 into it, and with no additional tuning, it will hardly break 1350 EGT, unless you are on a several-mile grade at WOT.
With tuning I'm guessing we could get a bit lower yet.

One last thing to consider. A 100% stock LBZ will hit as high as 1500 EGT, and GM says that's fine and dandy.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to throw my experience in here.
We tow quite heavy with an LLY regularly, grossing as much as 48k. Usually 30-35k behind the truck, which is 11k by itself as it's set up. We have all PPE exhaust piping, LBZ Intake horn, cold air intake, Mishimoto charge air cooler, and 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust. We could easily hit 1600 EGT on a 400 HP tune, and had to keep out of the throttle to prevent overheating. Swapped a Stealth 64 into it, and with no additional tuning, it will hardly break 1350 EGT, unless you are on a several-mile grade at WOT.
With tuning I'm guessing we could get a bit lower yet.

One last thing to consider. A 100% stock LBZ will hit as high as 1500 EGT, and GM says that's fine and dandy.
I rarely see over 1200 with this danville turbo, but if I hit 1300 im backin out or downshifting. IIRC these turbos are rated for around 1350 continuous. 1500 for a burst might be okay but Im pretty confident you would kill something if you held it there for long.

715Hunter

Jul 28, 2022
Missouri
I rarely see over 1200 with this danville turbo, but if I hit 1300 im backin out or downshifting. IIRC these turbos are rated for around 1350 continuous. 1500 for a burst might be okay but Im pretty confident you would kill something if you held it there for long.
Agreed. I will only go over 1250 for a few minutes, and above 1350 for less than a minute.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Where did you source this "rating"?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There is an old post on here about the factory Garrett’s being rated for 1350 continuous.

I will tell you the L5P will run continuous at 1400-1450 manifold temp. It starts defueling at the 1450 mark

Reactions: 715Hunter

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I'm still working on this issue. The truck had some issues and other problems that were contributing to the overall problem. I will address everything I had done and what work done in about two weeks. Between buying another house, selling my current house and some life things, this has taken awhile.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Sorry for taking so long to getting back to this situation. I bought a turbo faceplate tester adapter, in May, from duramaxtuner. I tested the whole intake boost system to the intake manifold. I had a bunch of boost leaks. Intake heater gaskets, 2-boost hoses, and one of the intake elbow o-rings (replaced both). After fixing everything, the system took almost a full minute to bleed down from 20psi to 5psi. The EGT’s were good and the MPG was up. I’m thinking great the trucks working. NOT.

3-days later, I get an under boost code. After doing some research, I checked the Baro sensor reading and the MAP sensor reading. I don’t remember what they were but I know their supposed to be close in number. I got a factory MAP & MAF sensors and installed them. They both are the original ones. I log a file, send it to Duramaxtuner, and they send an updated tune. The truck is running good again.

Fast forward 2-months

The truck starts making a buzzing sound after I shut it off. This lasts between 30-45 seconds. I start to notice the performance is down, the throttle is real laggy, mpg is down, and puffing black smoke. I’m about ready to get rid of this truck, but no.

I now go to do one of my big double tows (GCW of 21,500). The truck goes north over the Grapevine and seems fine. I go to come home back south and the truck is running 1400 degs and only 40MPH over the south bound Grapevine. The outside temp was 100 degs. My friend with a lifted stock(tune)2006 LBZ towing a 39’ toy hauler flies by me. I made it home barely.

I now take it to my local Duramax expert and he says the buzzing is the turbo vane control solenoid. It’s not operating properly. I order a new replacement, from LDS, under warranty(still pending) and install it. The truck is running great again. Power is great, MPG’s are almost back and EGT’S are pretty good. Their about 100-150 degs. below from when I first started the replacement. I haven’t done a heavy tow, since July. I’m thinking positive so far for the last 2-1/2 months of driving.

Sorry for the long post, but here’s what has happened