LBZ: Need some advice (cracked piston)

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Keep reading on crank failures is the LML really gonna make a difference over my LBZ crank?

Block is going out this week to be bored 20 over and now its times to buy some pistons:woott:

Anyone have any experience with the Empire Stage 1 AF cam? Found one locally and thinking of picking it up.

There is no real hard proof it's better persay but it's the cheapest new crank available and the theory is if you start with a new crank and switch to an AF cam you can reduce the chance of a broken crank. If you throw an AF cam on top of the original used crank in theory you could still break a crank. Be aide you cod have introduced stress into the original.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
Keep reading on crank failures is the LML really gonna make a difference over my LBZ crank?

Block is going out this week to be bored 20 over and now its times to buy some pistons:woott:

Anyone have any experience with the Empire Stage 1 AF cam? Found one locally and thinking of picking it up.

Lml crank's still break, and they break with AF cam as well. Only true fix has been a Callies crank. Lml cranks are just a cheaper option when purchasing a lb7, lly, lbz etc.

Kevinbo6gt

Jul 23, 2009
So best bet sounds to be an lml crank and an AF cam just for the factor of the new Crank shouldn't break anytime soon...Hopefully lol

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I was in your shoes 2 months ago. I thought the piston was cracked, at tear down it ended up being a hole burnt thru, the cylinder walk was fine. But at that point I had already made arrangements for a 1000hp build. #6 as well.

Sounds like what I went through last year. Mine burnt a hole in #8. I drove it home which hurt the cylinder. So I ended up boring .40 over and doing a full build. But now that's it's done, I don't honestly think I'd do it again. A good running short block is definitely probably gonna be your cheapest option.

As stated had my cylinder 6 piston crack on me. Was hoping to just be an injector but nope. Dropped the truck off tonight at a local diesel shop to see what they recommend on it. Wasn't planning on dropping big money on the motor but whats the best option? Could i just replace the single piston thats cracked and be on my way if it didn't do too much damage to the block?

Does the passenger side seem to the bank that burns holes in pistons from what anyone has seen or read about.?

Edit: Hope I got the banks correct.?

1-3-5-7 drivers

2-4-6-8 passenger
=
=
=

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Also read that lml rod/piston combo has been ran mid 11s. Supposedly good for 800hp but I honestly know nothing haha