Need help

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Does anyone with Ben's controller had any problems with a cel of p2138 and reduce engine power flashing on the dash? Got a sled pull this weekend and if you put it in 4 wheel drive it throws this code and I have no pedal!! I have called , emailed , sent a pigeon , everything lol and can't yet ahold of him . If I don't get this figured out , won't be making it to the sled pull. Also want to add that it does it in 2 wheel drive at random times .

Built motor , duel fuelers , 60's overs , gtx4202r

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
its the brand new $500 controller, i swear i think there something wrong with it . one minute it works fine in 2 wheel drive then for no apparent reason it will throw the p2138 code and reduce engine power. But no matter what you do it does it in 4 wheel drive low or high. you can put it in 4 wheel drive and as soon as your foot touches the foot feed it lights up. Boom your done :( i cant get him on the phone , email , nothing :mad:
Guess i am out for the weekend

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
just wanted to add , that i talked to him first of the week to let him know i had an issue and he said to check my connections and see if i could find a pattern then get back to him. :confused:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Yeah I knew that was coming ! Lol I would agree but have others pm'ing me describing the same issues . Controller works just throws cel . Thanks for the help

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
P2138- The voltage difference between APP sensor 1 and APP sensor 2 exceeds a value of 2 percent for more than 0.3 seconds .

With the ignition ON, use a scan tool to observe the APP sensor 1 for a normal voltage range between 0.89-4.57 volts . If you cannot duplicate the condition, operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
With the ignition ON, use a scan tool to observe the APP sensor 2 for a normal voltage range between 0.41-2.19 volts. With the ignition ON, use a scan tool to compare APP sensors 1 and 2 percentages, verify they do not differ more than 2 percent during a full pedal sweep.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Cause
On some vehicles, the IP to body harness connector, which carries the APP signal to the ECM/PCM, is located in the left hand kick panel area and if the kick panel is not sealed properly, water enters and causes a short in the APP circuits setting a P2138 code.

Correction:
Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Could be installer error:thumb:

Could also be this!

But since I have never met you or seen your work, I find it easier to lend a helping hand to get to the root of the problem instead of making claims that you must have screwed something up:thumb:

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Travis I never intended for what I said to be taken as you didn't know what you were doing . I will formally apologize to you if I offended you or anyone else.
For that I am sorry .
Getting back on topic , I understand what you are saying but this has something to do with the wire he has tapped into the dark blue wire on the pedal wiring harness. If I disconnect it the controller will not throw the cel, if it is connected it will . With that being said , this blue wire I assume tell the controller what position the throttle is in , when not hooked up the auto mode will not lock the converter . If I leave it loose and try to just use it manually the box seems to operate incorrectly ( it is not consistent )

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Travis I never intended for what I said to be taken as you didn't know what you were doing . I will formally apologize to you if I offended you or anyone else.
For that I am sorry .
Getting back on topic , I understand what you are saying but this has something to do with the wire he has tapped into the dark blue wire on the pedal wiring harness. If I disconnect it the controller will not throw the cel, if it is connected it will . With that being said , this blue wire I assume tell the controller what position the throttle is in , when not hooked up the auto mode will not lock the converter . If I leave it loose and try to just use it manually the box seems to operate correctly ( it is not consistent )

Do you have a copy of the install instructions? I got to reading about his box and the fact that it goes off throttle position and that makes me believe that there is something wrong in the box or where the wire is spliced in, its causing a voltage issue back to the ecm. How is the box wire tapped into the APP sensor wire? Check the throttle position with EFI and see what it is without the wire hooked up and with it hooked up. Also is the box tapped into the primary or secondary APP sensor?