Need help with LB7 engine parts.

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
Hey ya'll. It kinda looks like the dealer is going to have to replace the piston rings on #4 and #8 cylinders on my 01 lb7. They will do the labor for free and I will be suppying the parts. I'm looking to buy just the rings for those 2 cylinders. I'm not sure if used rings can be used or not, but I don't have a lot of money, limited income ya know. Also looking for some of the other parts to put it back together, we are just pulling the drivers side head off only after pulling the motor. I guess I would also need head bolts, valve cover sealer, head gasket ( I know you have to know which thickness the old one was), and any other gaskets that will be needed.

If I cant use used rings, does anyone have new rings for 2 cylinders. I has a thread going: LB7: Lower compression on 2 cylinders only when cold!!!!!!! a few days ago about low compression in those 2 cylinders. It seems that it is bad rings.

The small dealer that is doing the work Is absolutely great about trying to help me. We both know that Its kind of their fault and Its kinda not their fault. Thats why I'm having to supply the parts.

ANY help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Thanks

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I have to do this as cheap as possible. Just went thru a 3 year divorce and got cleaned out by the b***h and the lawyers. I'm just glad that part is over. Friends have suggested that I sell the truck and get a gas one. I would rather cut my arm off than sell my diesel. I'm hopeing someone might have these parts so I can save some money.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
New set run around 270.00. Last I cheched only place you will be able to just buy single ring sets is the dealer I can get you a price but ask them if they can give you whole sale on the parts.

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
I would still like to see if any one has a set thats broken open and wants to sell some. Just never know who might have something they want to sell cheep. Hope someone has something for me!!!!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
If the dealer will sell just 2 bores to you at wholesale you shoud have less then 48 buck in them. I would not use old rings but since the rest are used it would not matter. If my old pistons were not 1120 miles back home I would give the old rings to you they only had 31,500 miles on them.

Last edited:

duramax-rob

duramax-rob
Nov 26, 2008
mt. home, ar
ripmf666, I appreciate your offer. I hope there is someone else that can help. Thanks BTW I have 144,000 miles on the truck and engine.

Last edited:

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Try Tony Burkhard at All Season Sales. He helped me out a lot on my head gasket job. Not sure where but I found the gm sealant for like $10 a tube somewhere. Ill have to try and find that. Also try Socal Diesel. Guy may have what you need laying around.

Last edited: