Need help with garage wiring.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Have a stupid question but for anyone that's house hold electrical sappy. Just got done wiring a 240v outlet for my mig welder and also hard wired my 80gal 2stage compressor. Fuse box is a 200 amp. With all my breakers installed I'm up to about 240 amps total. Will this cause any problems? I used a 50 for mig and 40 for compressor. Both duals. Sorry new to this but everything works correctly just wasn't to sure so figured I'd ask before I have any issues tripping breakers.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
As long as you don't try to run it all at once :rofl:

Do you have a true 200amp service, or just the main breaker and box is set up for it?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
As long as you don't try to run it all at once :rofl:

Do you have a true 200amp service, or just the main breaker and box is set up for it?
Exactly what was said here. Just because you have that many amps in breakers doesn't mean that's how much it's pulling. Ex: You might have a 15A breaker for lights but all your lights may only pull 7 amps. I run a 60 gal. A mig tons of shop lights refrigerator and much more on 100A. Never had any issues. But yes if you were pulling more than 200A it would trip the main.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Like PureHybrid said as long as you do not run them both at the same time you should be OK. You need a disconnect at the compressor per code for safety reasons, the disconnect gives you way to shut down power at the equipment when servicing so you do not have to go to the panel to shutdown.

Look on the compressor motor and see what the ratings are, you may be able to drop that breaker down to a 30amp.

This book will answer a lot of your questions.

UGLYS

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Thata what I figured. A few outlets are on single 30 amp breakers that i won't use. just figured I'd ask. A guy wanted 600$ to put in two outlets without conduit. No dry wall or insulation is up yes so I just did it myself. Was cake but just making sure.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Mike I can drop it down to a 30 but I already had a 40 laying around so just used that till I make it to lowes tomorrow.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Mike I can drop it down to a 30 but I already had a 40 laying around so just used that till I make it to lowes tomorrow.

Check the FLA rating on the motor.

Also compressor still has a control box on it with a switch.

That serves just fine as disconnect.

You need an air dryer, been running this one for 20 years and rarely have moisture at the dryer just to the right of hose reel, I do get some moisture at the first drip leg. This compressor is about 35 years old, rebuilt just before I purchased it...
=
=
24l4tj9.jpg

=
=

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
That's way to complicated for me. I bought a regulator filter and oiler all in one. It's about a foot from air tank and I'll run a reel from there. Shouldn't have an issue with water.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
40 amp is too big a breaker for that compressor unless its a 7.5hp single phase (which i doubt as they are rare and expensive in all the research i did). Drop it to a 30 and do like mike said, figure out what amp rating is. if your too big of a breaker, should something happen and it short out, the breaker could NOT trip and then you have a fire on your hands.

i have 200a service to my house. right now i have the A/C, range, dryer, air compressor, 2 220 plugs in the garage for welder/plasma, and 220 out let for my trailer to plug into on breakers. all those combined are well over my 200a limit if you base it off breaker rating and thats not including the 110 breakers. I also have a load controller on the house from 1989, but dont even know if it works lol. if it does, i have it hooked to the compressor as well as the range and dryer. should the a/c be on, compressor kick on and the wife have the dryer running while cooking dinner and the load is greater than 100 amps, it will kick the compressor off first. If the load is still high, it will kick the dryer next, and so on. it seems counter intuitive to cut something out when i still have 100amps left but i dont want to have a spike from my welder or kicking the a/c on in the trailer to kill my main power and have everything die on me. i need to get my brother in-law over to the house to make sure the load controller works though lol

Bullets&Whitewalls

Nov 26, 2015
Woodland Ca
When checking your fla remember the service factor rating needs to be addressed as well on the compressor. At its unload point it can be in the sf rating. Generally home units have a 1.0 so it will be what the nameplate says but if it's 1.15 or possibly different it will be slightly higher, example fla 14 x sfa 1.15 =16 fla not saying yours is that way but it's a good thing to check. Also start up amps need to be considered as well. A mag starter with overloads is good practice for a 5hp and above. Most 5 hp units are not true 5hp but closer to 3.5 hp. And 7.5 hp are closer to 5 true hp. You might see a spl on the name plate next to the hp rating. From what you stated it sounds like you are gtg just double check the hp if you have 7.5spl the 30 will probably be fine for start up but if it is a true 7.5 you will likely need the 40a for start up. That is where overloads are key so you have protection should something happen during a run condition. Especially when you forget to turn it off and it cycles while your away. It does happen, I have been installing compressors from 3hp to 300hp for 16 years and have seen some burn up a time or two from undersized electrical.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
When checking your fla remember the service factor rating needs to be addressed as well on the compressor. At its unload point it can be in the sf rating. Generally home units have a 1.0 so it will be what the nameplate says but if it's 1.15 or possibly different it will be slightly higher, example fla 14 x sfa 1.15 =16 fla not saying yours is that way but it's a good thing to check. Also start up amps need to be considered as well. A mag starter with overloads is good practice for a 5hp and above. Most 5 hp units are not true 5hp but closer to 3.5 hp. And 7.5 hp are closer to 5 true hp. You might see a spl on the name plate next to the hp rating. From what you stated it sounds like you are gtg just double check the hp if you have 7.5spl the 30 will probably be fine for start up but if it is a true 7.5 you will likely need the 40a for start up. That is where overloads are key so you have protection should something happen during a run condition. Especially when you forget to turn it off and it cycles while your away. It does happen, I have been installing compressors from 3hp to 300hp for 16 years and have seen some burn up a time or two from undersized electrical.

In all my years running commercial construction projects from 1/2 to 5 million dollar projects it only takes me about 5 minutes to know if I should have any concerns about the lead electrician, you have my vote of confidence...:thumb:

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
That's way to complicated for me. I bought a regulator filter and oiler all in one. It's about a foot from air tank and I'll run a reel from there. Shouldn't have an issue with water.

You'd be surprised what a 3 stage desiccant system would pull out of it. If you use a plasma cutter, spray any paint or have any expensive air tools, I would add at least one dryer stage

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
You want to see some home built and commercial air dryer's, go over to garagejournal.com. Inhale some of the air from the dryers these guys have installed and it would dry your lungs out like a potato chip...

silvrmax04

IBEW local 24
Apr 18, 2007
md
If fla is 21.5 you will need to use a 2 p 30a breaker. Which is #10awg. Your over current rating can not be less than 80% of fla. there is an exception that you can fuse a motor up to 175% of fla for start up.