Need help I'm stranded

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Installed lift pump and bled it, truck ran for a mile and died. I bled it on the road and fuel even comes out of the bleed port on stock filter head. Truck just crsnks with no start now.

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
I got it started after much bleeding but died again. I have R going to manifold thats spliced into fill tube, I have E going from my pump to bigger steel line going to engine, and i have T going from sump into the pump. Just died agaun while at idle

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Ok got it. Think the sump makes it more sensitive to low fuel although it supposed to do the opposite. Before i installed pump i ran fuel down low, when i drained it i ran it down to about 1.5 gal and truck never skipped a beat. After pump and sump install it put out about 4 gal and second time about 6 gal in the truck and now im having all these problems. Maybe its where i put the sump? Not sure if GM slants the tanks back, I put sump up near out front of the tank. Oh how many of you guys leave the "tank protector off"

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
You can hear the pump running? No leaks? If the lines are backwards I can't see you pulling fuel through the regulator. Maybe it's just sucking the little fuel left in the line from before installing the pump.

I put mine right under the stock pick up/sending unit and haven't had problems. I left the protector off because mine won't be seeing anything but paved roads and a tiny bit of gravel

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Oh amd I have read reviews and even watched videos and people say the airdog is quieter amd fass is loud. I actually can't believe how quiet this pump is, can't hear it at all

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When you run the tank to an extreme low, those sumps will have these issues for two reasons.

1. The return does not return into the bowl of the sump keeping some fuel in there at all times

2. The bowl of the sump is shallow and does not have a way of keeping fuel from splashing out where the stock fuel pick up actually has its own built in sump with small holes to allow fuel to fill it when the tank is low but not so big that fuel quickly runs out of it and leaves you without fuel to pick up.

I personally don't like these sump kits for the reasons above. I can run my tank down to .5 gal left and still no hint of fuel starving in the truck. If the return came back to the sump, I would like them much more

lil bleur

Its all good until..BOOM!
Oct 6, 2015
York PA
Oh amd I have read reviews and even watched videos and people say the airdog is quieter amd fass is loud. I actually can't believe how quiet this pump is, can't hear it at all

The sump made that difference. They are crazy loud if you go to the quick connects at the fuel cooler. Love them for that!

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Also now that you have sump at front of tank if your low on fuel it will run out on boat ramp while launching your boat in front of your friends.....

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Also now that you have sump at front of tank if your low on fuel it will run out on boat ramp while launching your boat in front of your friends.....

That sounds like an interesting story. Just tell us you werent pulled back up the boat launch by a Ferd....

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
Ha that was just hypothetical thankfully..... just something to remember. My brother has as sump in front like that and when we go fishing he always tops of with fuel first

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Argh why do i always read good reviews then when i buy something i find bad things, everybody always said oh using a sump you can use every drop of fuel but now i have to keep at least 10 gal of fuel in that now. Damn bullshit now i have a hole in my tank so can't go back, unless i just plug the sump and leave if in there. So now with this new problem whats the advantage of having a sump, nothing? It's a disadvantage?

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Even with the sump this pump is crazy quiet even with the truck off i can barely hear it, i have to feel the pump to make sure its even on. Pretty pissed about this pump deal though

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The advantages are it makes the lift pumps quieter, and flows more fuel than the stock pickup can handle. Also avoids issues where the stock pickup has a crack and pulls air when the tank gets low.

Disadvantages are they don't work great when the tank is low, they stick down and can get torn off when off-roading, and you don't really need them until >>700 HP (I run 660+ HP on the stock pickup).

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
This is where you need my sending unit.

Pluses-never can run out of fuel
Negatives-the truck has 10-13 gallon left when on E, never know when to get fuel. So mine is never technically below a half a talk, only problem is I get fuel every 170-210 miles or I could run 260+.

lil bleur

Its all good until..BOOM!
Oct 6, 2015
York PA
Even with the sump this pump is crazy quiet even with the truck off i can barely hear it, i have to feel the pump to make sure its even on. Pretty pissed about this pump deal though

That's what I meant. Without that sump you could hear it standing on the other side of ur truck while idling. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Maybe one day I'll try it all i have to do is run line from sump and take it to stock spot