Need help here, please.

2004LB7Blue

Dec 19, 2022
Just bought this truck and was losing most of coolant thru the overflow pipe from the coolant reservoir. The truck did never overheat in my possession. Did a chemical test on the coolant, it changed color so it stated that the head gasket is leaking? Got tired of adding coolant and cleanings up under the truck so I just replacing the head gasket and put the heads back on. When tiring to adjust the valves, the specified movement of valves on TDC do not match the GM order. Please look at the attachment. Yellow and red represents what it should be and my comments is what I get.
No, the truck done NOT have alternate fire camshaft. The firing order is as specified which is 1,2,7,8,4,5,6,3
What gives? I only took everything off from top to the head gaskets. I did not rebuild the valves. The truck ran well before service besides the coolant issue. I do not see how I could have put anything back incorrectly that will affect the valves opening sequence on the top dead center.
Please help.
Thanks!

doc1.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just bought this truck and was losing most of coolant thru the overflow pipe from the coolant reservoir. The truck did never overheat in my possession. Did a chemical test on the coolant, it changed color so it stated that the head gasket is leaking? Got tired of adding coolant and cleanings up under the truck so I just replacing the head gasket and put the heads back on. When tiring to adjust the valves, the specified movement of valves on TDC do not match the GM order. Please look at the attachment. Yellow and red represents what it should be and my comments is what I get.
No, the truck done NOT have alternate fire camshaft. The firing order is as specified which is 1,2,7,8,4,5,6,3
What gives? I only took everything off from top to the head gaskets. I did not rebuild the valves. The truck ran well before service besides the coolant issue. I do not see how I could have put anything back incorrectly that will affect the valves opening sequence on the top dead center.
Please help.
Thanks!

View attachment 111739
well you are looking at something wrong cause you cant have 2 compression strokes at the same time. you need to make sure the crank is lined up on TDC, cylinder one is at TDC, back ALL of the adjustments off the rockers and start fresh. i prefer to use the merchant auto sheet myself. FYI, compression stroke on cylinder 4 is 1 full turn of the crank after you set everything for compression stroke cylinder 1.

dmax valve adjustment.png

2004LB7Blue

Dec 19, 2022
It is the same table as mine just a different layout but, thank you. I am still searching. I do, however, have two new questions:

1) What is the purpose of Eye Bolt Gasket. I can only think that it is a quicker for the service guy for both washers to be connected together so he does not loose one or the other during removal and installation.

2) I remove the transmission dipstick to remove the heard. Notice overnight that trans oil is leaking form the dipstick input location. There is not too much oil per the dipstick itself when check and truck was parked. What gives?

thanks.