Need a pre-turbo WI controller...

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I can reprogram a turbobrake to do it for you.. Do you want the motor to be PWM controlled, because that can be done as well?

We have been kicking around a "smarter" WI system.

We already have all the inputs available to do what you want here.

Brayden

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Initial logic idea

I am in the process of obtaining 0-5 voltage scaling for the IAT signal.

-Will need pot 1 to be variable between IAT=50 F-150 F (voltages coming soon)
AND/OR
-Will need pot 2 to be variable between 20 psia-35 psia (again, voltage
scaling will be provided)
-Will need pot 3 to be varable between 25 psia-45 psia

-need dip switch to "AND" the pots or "OR" the logic between pot 1 and Pots 2,3. This way, both IAT and MAP conditions, "OR" just MAP can actuate. But not just IAT obviously.

Also, if possible, need one or 2 12V low output activation leads, for LED's possibly.

3 stages-optimally, there will be one stage pre-manifold, 2 stages pre-compressor. You can locate stages anywhere but I like: stage 1 is pre-C, stage 2 is pre-manifold, stage 3 is pre-C (2 nozzles, 1" in front of the compressor). Stage 1 and 3 can only be actuated when the IAT condition is satisfied. The idea here, is that IAT must be warm enough to justify use of pre-c misting. This will save water, while also tending to the towing CAC heat soak issues that many experience when towing. With the OR logic, it can also be used for performance.

I assume solenoids used here. No PWM. Sorry if I am using some incorrect electrical nomenclature, i am a slug with circuits.

Subject to other good ideas here;) What do you think?

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I'd ditch the pots and dip switches..

How about a VB (Visual Basic) interface that allows you dial in the IAT that you want it to come on at, and dial in the MAP and then with code you can, AND, OR, NOT all you want ;)

This could be done with the TB board. It already has the necessary IO's and a USB port on the side and a program is already written to adjust the values.

Instead of solenoids I would just PWM two different motors for the desired pressure. Might be a little more complicated but would be much more controllable and scalable.

Just My Opinion though.

Brayden

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Sounds interesting. But I would probably not use 2 motors for something like this. One has more than enough flow capacity, and enough of an electrical system draw.

On second look, the AND would work fine. As long as the IAT and boost is user adjustable.

I guess PWM will work, but these motors don't like it, from what I have heard...they will run hot IIRC.

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
The setup I'm building will use an AEM standalone PCM to control the voltage output to the wm pumps. Has a fully adjustable table that is scaled to the fuel map. Triggered by minimum psi and/or IAT.

Granted it's not a diesel truck app, but something like efi live should be able to be configured to do this very very well.

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
Does aquamist or snow make something like this already?

Maybe just configure a simple megasquirt system for it?

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Slight change in plans:

Stage 1-pre-comp...TPS will actuate , low flow 3-4 gph. This is a spool up aid stage. Can be a 2 pos switch... actuates at 80% TPS. No boost is needed.

Stage 2-intake plenum...adj boost to actuate...locate pre-plenum, medium flow 6-8 gph nozzle

Stage 3-pre-comp, med flow 6-8 gph, adj boost "AND" adj iat condition satisfied...

No PWM, just solenoids. Going pre-c requires full pump pressure to avoid heavy drops IMO.

now to build one. Any takers? This will work well.

Last edited:

Killerbee

Got Honey?
Thank you for the offer. I think I may have the perfect solution already, will use up to 4 5V inputs, each programmable for a given output, and the best part is, I can have up to 5 outputs, meaning the same controller, can separately control nitrous, water, heck, even strobe lights, LOL.

All programable via laptop.

Will even modulate duty cycle...PWM.

ROGUE GTS

Apr 30, 2008
Slight change in plans:

Stage 1-pre-comp...TPS will actuate , low flow 3-4 gph. This is a spool up aid stage.

How is shooting anything into the compressor side going to effect spooling?

No PWM, just solenoids. Going pre-c requires full pump pressure to avoid heavy drops IMO.

Absolutely! It somewhat depends on the nozzle design and pressure range, but it needs to be up there when it triggers. I've seen most fog nozzles need somewhere around ~90psi minimum to atomize efficiently, and go up to ~400psi on the high side. You do have quite a bit of room to work, but it's not really necessary IMO. You should be more focused on compressor efficiency here than fueling and total air saturation. In this instance, less could definitely be more.

Small jet, high trigger pressure, and fog the hell out of the compressor inlet. You will be VERY VERY happy with the results.

:cool2: