NASCAR Technical Institute and Pit Crew U

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Anyone been to either of these? Looking for some good info. I plan on going after I get out. Just looking fprv good general info and how job placement is afterwards

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I don't know about either of these really but I do know if your married the pit crew life is rough for a family man. Working in the shop may not be bad though. My brother in law works on Danica's IRL team (gonna be on Marco's team next year since she's going all nascar) as outside rear tire changer and is on the road all over the world a lot. It's been a tough time for my sister and their little girl but somehow they manage. Money isn't bad but for the time away from home i figured it's be a lot better.

dbenenh0

May 17, 2009
Midland, NC
I talked to a guy in one of my classes last semester who went there. He liked it and said it was fun but there are a lot of people and its really competitive.

Another guy I know who is a jack man on the number 47 car said he doesn't like some of them cuz they show up thinking they know everything and others suck and shouldn't be there haha

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Nice. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to do both schools since the GI bill is paying for it. just something ive always wanted to do and really want to pursue. Keep the info coming

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Pit Crew U is just pit crew stuff. NTI is more mechanic related stufd and UNOH has a good high performance motorsports degree with machine work and what not

'03duramax

I love cheer******s
Sep 16, 2006
WA
Gotcha, so like a better version of UTI? I've heard good things of UNOH. S.A.M. in Houston has a great machinist/racing program, or at least it did when I graduated back in '05. Quite a few guys at cup shops, pro stock, Koontz, BES, etc...

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
ill hire you tony. you can be my one man piut crew for my duramax. :D since you can get your little hands in just about every nook and cranny. i will pay you in pop tarts, wine coolers and if you do really well.... some PBR

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
ill hire you tony. you can be my one man piut crew for my duramax. :D since you can get your little hands in just about every nook and cranny. i will pay you in pop tarts, wine coolers and if you do really well.... some PBR

Thats a hard bargain to pass up. :)

Been in contact with Earnhardt-Ganassi Racing and Kyle Busch Motorsports...still waiting to heard from some other teams. Pretty much have all said what I figured...hard job to break into but definitely doable. At least I'm making good points of contact. I am a good wrench and welder just need to get my foot in the door

DieselDummy

Dirt Dummy
Oct 13, 2011
NY
You really need to know somebody and get s recommendation to get on especially if you don't live in the area, my buddy drives one of JRM haulers(danicas) and he tried for 4-5 years before he got in, but once he did that's all it took

Sent from the road!!!!!
03 lb7 CC/LB

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
From what I have heard from people that actually know their stuff and go and seen from guys applying to work here that didn't know their stuff and went - none of the "big name" (UTI, MMI, NTI, WyoTech, etc) tech schools teach you much. They have so many mechanically challenged people going that they have to spend so much time on the most basic stuff that they get to spend very little on the stuff you wouldn't already know.

I have a friend (and former 6122 like you Jordan) that is at NTI right now and has told me it is all so easy he is top in his class and isn't learning anything. One of my employees went to WyoTech, I just had him read the above paragraph and he said "That doesn't even do it justice - it's all that and worse. They have to go over 'This is a wrench'." IMO with your helicopter mechanic and military background you should just go straight for applying for what you want to be doing as a career. If you get turned down ask for a reason - if you get a few that say it's because you don't have a tech school on your resume then think about it. But most mechanic or high performance shop owners and/or pit crew cheifs are going to know that someone with a background in and passion for mechanics will accel much more than someone that didn't know what to do after high school and went to a "tech school"; you can teach the guy with passion and background what he needs to know faster than you can unteach the other guy what he learned to do wrong.

As far as for a pit crew member, like has been said I have heard you really have to know someone and be good to get in. The schools don't help you much as knowing someone inside that knows how good you are.

Thought we talked a while back about you coming to work for me?

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
From what I have heard from people that actually know their stuff and go and seen from guys applying to work here that didn't know their stuff and went - none of the "big name" (UTI, MMI, NTI, WyoTech, etc) tech schools teach you much. They have so many mechanically challenged people going that they have to spend so much time on the most basic stuff that they get to spend very little on the stuff you wouldn't already know.

I have a friend (and former 6122 like you Jordan) that is at NTI right now and has told me it is all so easy he is top in his class and isn't learning anything. One of my employees went to WyoTech, I just had him read the above paragraph and he said "That doesn't even do it justice - it's all that and worse. They have to go over 'This is a wrench'." IMO with your helicopter mechanic and military background you should just go straight for applying for what you want to be doing as a career. If you get turned down ask for a reason - if you get a few that say it's because you don't have a tech school on your resume then think about it. But most mechanic or high performance shop owners and/or pit crew cheifs are going to know that someone with a background in and passion for mechanics will accel much more than someone that didn't know what to do after high school and went to a "tech school"; you can teach the guy with passion and background what he needs to know faster than you can unteach the other guy what he learned to do wrong.

As far as for a pit crew member, like has been said I have heard you really have to know someone and be good to get in. The schools don't help you much as knowing someone inside that knows how good you are.

sound advice IMO

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I wouldnt waste your time.

What would be a better plan then? I can work on motors/cars well but I dont have anything formal to rely on other than personal experience. I'm a driver for an executive office right now (CGs driver) for you military folks but dont have schooling other than your basic USMC stuff...

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
What would be a better plan then? I can work on motors/cars well but I dont have anything formal to rely on other than personal experience. I'm a driver for an executive office right now (CGs driver) for you military folks but dont have schooling other than your basic USMC stuff...

contractor. same job. 2x the pay

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks

Different person Dustin. I'm an 0231 but I know a helicopter mech named Jordan. Appreciate the advice though. UNOH is another ive considered based on the fact they are more all around (welding, wrenching, fab, chassis work etc). PM coming.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks

contractor. same job. 2x the pay

Main thing is I don't like my job lol

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
2chey... that would be a big part lol...

and im surprised the good ol usmc even lets jordan touch a helicopter!!! he prob. hacks holes in it with hatchets and shit.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Yeah my job isn't nearly as fun as yours bud ;) just cause the hole for your stack looks like a drunken blind 4 year old cut it with a rusty spoon don't be mad :roflmao:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Yeah my job isn't nearly as fun as yours bud ;) just cause the hole for your stack looks like a drunken blind 4 year old cut it with a rusty spoon don't be mad :roflmao:

man... its not that fun. it was rough being forced to go to skip barbers school of racing. :( i didn't enjoy it AT ALL :spit:

but yea... def looks like a 4 year old cut that thing out lmao. but its strategic. weight savings an OZ at a time. :woott: