My turn for a motor build thread

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2613157

#PIP4898: Duramax Diesel Engine Oil Pan Whine Noise - (Mar 30, 2011)

Subject: Duramax Diesel Engine Oil Pan Whine Noise

Models: 2010-2011 Chevrolet Express, Silverado

2010-2011 GMC Savana, Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LGH or LML.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some vehicles may exhibit an engine buzz, moan, rattle, whine, or vibration type noise that can typically be heard at idle or low RPM. The noise may be hard to duplicate, change in intensity, and/or phase in and out when listened to for a long period of time.

The noise will be the loudest near the bottom of the oil pan. The noise is generated by fluid pulsations inside the oil pump. Oil pressure readings will be normal.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering is aware of the concern. If a dealer has noticed that the whine noise is coming from the oil pan area please do not attempt repairs.

It is possible that all 2010-2011 6.6L engines (RPO codes LGH & LML) will have this noise in varying levels. Testing and engine teardowns have been performed and reveal no condition that would affect the reliability or durability of the engine.

The repair for the whine noise will be a revised oil pump. This PI will be updated when new information about the oil pump becomes available.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thanks Henry, I was looking at it a lot yesterday and if they say a fluid harmonic issue is causing it, could it just be as simple as changinge the profile of round pickup tube? Just like a downpipe, round doesn't necessarily flow the best due to resonance and turbulence

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
A little update on this:
A buddy and I got abitious one night last week and took the front end off my truck. Took about two hours to get this far. Found the hole in the block while poking around too :baby:. Its on the drivers side. I picked up the donor motor yesterday that Jason really hooked me up on :hug: and am going to tear into that this week and get the block and crank ready to go to the machine shop. My buddy was all excited that he had a duramax motor in the bed of his cummins, as you can see in the pic, and I had to hear the comments all the way home.
Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 96

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Welcome to Team Time's Up!!
Sorry to hear your engine ate the green wiener.
At least you were close to home not like I was-500 miles away!

Your build plans look good and similar to mine.
I would really consider the LLY heads. Much better injector set-up-no cups to deal with and easier to change the injectors if you have to. You will have to buy a set of injectors, but at least you know they have been gone through with the new tips.
I would have liked to try Finger's piston's but pulled the trigger on Mahle Cast Race pistons before Finger's offered them to me. Actually kind of forgot about them as last I heard they were still being tested not for sale as a production item. Serves me for not paying attention!:eek: I would like to see some more miles on a set to prove longevity although Jon doesn't figure this will be an issue. Time will tell.
Talk to Henry, he can hook you up with a gasket set including HG's and everything is in it-no messing about.

What's the deal with the LML oil pump? Better? More oil flow? Cheaper?

Thanks for the welcoming into the club buddy. I was fortuntate to not be 500 miles away like you situation though. That one really sucks. But I did see you finally got her home in one piece. Our build is very similar for sure, pistons beign the big difference. I don't put miles on my truck like you do, so that is why I am thinking I want to go with Fingers pistons. He said he is very confident in them, but its just taking time to build their reputation. I haven't pulled the trigger on any parts yet with the exception of the block, as I am still gathering all the info I can get. Thats actually where the LML oil pump came up. Tim had mentioned it to me, and is in the process of putting it together on his motor right now I believe. I'll be following along and seeing what the verdict is with that.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks Henry, I was looking at it a lot yesterday and if they say a fluid harmonic issue is causing it, could it just be as simple as changinge the profile of round pickup tube? Just like a downpipe, round doesn't necessarily flow the best due to resonance and turbulence

Hard to say at this point and most only notice it after the first oil change. Kinda crappy Gm is going to let a lot of these trucks get out into the market the update these pumps. Then all these truck will have to come in and have the oil pumps swapped out. But on the builds here and a said 11% gain that's from Gm that's also going to be replacing these same pumps at some point in time. The LBZ pumps work great and nothing to change over. These pumps have been tested well in a lot of builds over the last few years just hate to see someone spend money on a build then try a lml oil pump that Gm knows has issues and it needs to show its true colors to the market also still.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
I found the whine in my motor was due to a brandy new water pump and could only be heard when coasting. after 1000-1500 miles the whine was gone.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I found the whine in my motor was due to a brandy new water pump and could only be heard when coasting. after 1000-1500 miles the whine was gone.

mine still has a little hum to it from the pump as well. over 6k on the motor now. its much better than before. its pretty damn scary to hear the harmonics from it on first start up thinking the bottom end is comin apart

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
I wanted to update this thread. Been pretty busy the past few weeks, but finally got the motor out last weekend. The carnage is SICK! Need to thank my buddies Ryan and Doug for doing most of the work. I could do nothing but stand there in shock that im actually pulling the damn motor out of my truck!

Plans for a build changed a little. Picking up a fully built motor this saturday. Deal was to good to pass up. I was EXTREMELY gunshy about buying a used built motor, but talked to a few of the experts and they set my mind at ease. The seller even gave me the builders/machine shops contact info and had a long conversation about it with him. Pretty sure its going to be pretty solid. The bad is that I had to use my motor as a bargaining tool as I couldn't come up to the sellers asking price so hes going to part it out to make up for the difference in price. So I wont get to see the carnage first hand. I did ask for a few of the bent/broken rods back though.

Specs on motor:
Bored .40 over and balanced. No torque plate hone though
New water pump/oil pump
Carrillo's
Mahle Race Cast Pistons
ARP Main/head studs
Clevite bearings
Socal 3388 cam
Socal Springs and retainers
Ported heads
100% overs
PPE dual Fuelers

Going this weekend to pic the motor up :D

Pics of teardown:
Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 008.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 83

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
damn that should be a hell of alot of fun! not to metion quick to get back running lol. nice kris!!

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
damn that should be a hell of alot of fun! not to metion quick to get back running lol. nice kris!!

It should be pretty wicked James. I'm starting to get real excited. The builder laughed when I told him it wa a street truck. He said good luck, you'll have your hands full. Looks like you an I will be the only ones with built motors and stock chargers though :woott: should slow it down a bit

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It should be pretty wicked James. I'm starting to get real excited. The builder laughed when I told him it wa a street truck. He said good luck, you'll have your hands full. Looks like you an I will be the only ones with built motors and stock chargers though :woott: should slow it down a bit

yeah but they have big brothers to help them really shine :D. im really curious what you can drive those things up to HP wise with all that fuel

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
I bet you can go 800 with 100s :D push that ihi till it explodes :spit: .......k well maybe not till it explodes but close :D

Thats a major concern of mine. Sending a Batowheel through the motor would not be good. I still would like to see how far the stock IHI can be pushed, and Im pretty sure Trent does as well, but a call is in order to see what it would take to get something else in its place. After all, 1000hp doesnt seem to out of reach now with and has a nice ring to it

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
So you guys are running two aftermarket low pressures over the factory IHI for a high pressure? What low pressure turbos are you using?

I never realized that Trent's base triples were over a stocker.