LLY: My first oil change in the lly

M.hulsey91

Apr 25, 2015
Just got the truck a few months ago. My first diesel. Coming up on my first oil change. What oil should I go with . Thanks in advance

M.hulsey91

Apr 25, 2015
Also how many quarts with a filter change and is there anything I need to do maintenance wise with winter coming up. We see single digits down here in SouthWestern Indiana. Won't be able to plug in block heater at work but at home won't have a problem with that.

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
Also how many quarts with a filter change and is there anything I need to do maintenance wise with winter coming up. We see single digits down here in SouthWestern Indiana. Won't be able to plug in block heater at work but at home won't have a problem with that.

Ive been using the rotella for 2 years now, im in mass and we see some cold days during the winter and ive never had a problem, ive plugged my truck in maybe once but every other time she fires right up. Maintance wise would hurt to use a little anti gel fuel additive. Just pour it in right before you start pumping, reference the bottle for ammount to use i always use stanadyne

For the oil changes i always use a factory oil filter buy it right from the dealer down the street from me and ill use 10 quarts of oil

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Delo 400, You can find those 3 at Walmart and should have no problems. I run Mystik 15w-50 in my LB7 and Scheaffers 15w-40 in my LLY

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Do you plug yours in when you expect temps below zero?

If it's available I do as it takes less time for the truck to warm up. I've started it up in temps as low as -5 without plugging it up and have had no issues.

Edit: these trucks are good down to -40 I believe without plugging them in

Corey

Last edited:

M.hulsey91

Apr 25, 2015
What brand filter should I use? Better to go to the dealership or what kind should I get in that category

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Oil, just use any name brand 15/40. Never had issues with mine starting down to -20. I run Mobil Delvac but have run most others available on the shelf with no difference.

Filters? Wix, Napa, Mobil, AcDelco. Just not a Fram please :thumb:

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
May want to consider replacing/flushing the power steering and brake fluid, these two fluids are most always overlooked till you have brake or steering problems...

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
May want to consider replacing/flushing the power steering and brake fluid, these two fluids are most always overlooked till you have brake or steering problems...

:yup: It's on the to do list for my truck too. I've done these on other trucks and it makes a big difference.

I'd say they are overlooked too because it takes more effort to do them.