My Build Has Started!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Looking at the converter pic, the 7 and 5 o'clock positions were the two bolts that were loose, 11 and 2 o'clock were the tightest.
If that means anything.........

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Talked with my build guy today finally.
Purchased an SFI Flywheel to get rid of the flexplate set-up which he had in stock and the stuff is all at the machine shop right now. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have a balanced engine to throw some pieces at and get across the border.:thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Heads will go there.
Machining and assembly is being done by a machinist that Brad Makinen @ G&J Diesel uses. He is helping me with my build. He has a shortblock of mine I bought a few years ago and that is what I will be using.
I might get Curtis or someone to align bore my current block if it's still good and sell it with stock internals.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
May be cheaper in the lower 48 for you. Even with shipping. And avoiding the customs goat rope.
For me when I started this build there was nobody good IMO that I would use in Canada. Since then Curtis moved to Calgary, but he ain't cheap.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well made a little progress.
I got the crapped out firewall insulation off and washed out the engine bay. Amazing how much filmed on grime and mud can accumulate in 5 years. Didn't get it as clean as I wanted to but it will have to do. Was amazed by the amount of surface rust on stuff too from sitting so long. Looks pretty sad.:(
Washed the trans cooler, rad, IC and a/c condenser out which really weren't that bad considering. Going to pressure test the rad and I/C and get the rad flushed out as well. A/C condenser just needs a comb run through it to straighten some fins and it's good.

Got the engine and trans home finally. ATS converter is gone, turbo and pedestal may be going soon as well-just need to check specs on it to make sure it isn't on it's way out before I sell it.

Going to PB Blast the crap out of all the bolts and hopefully have my heads off by Sunday to take to Curtis in Calgary on Mon to get gone through.

Ted @ MPL got my T/C resealed with a pump rub plate and going to pick that up tomorrow. One more thing off the list!!:woott:
Also got my used Wherli S480 twin kit coming and possibly a Batmo for a stock charger I am getting here soon as well.

Finally things are coming together-just wish the machine shop would hurry TFU!!!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Made a little progress today.
Hope I remember how all those wires are routed!!
Heads off tomorrow!

Found my oil leak. Turbo drain hose was hard as a rock. leaking at both ends. Not sure what the next guy is gonna use but hopefully something better than what I had on there.

Definitely relocating the GPCM. What a giant sack of gay that is. Like 10 bolts altogether holding it on. Will make lots of room for the trans dipstick on that side.

Anyone replace the bearings in the tensioner pulleys? Need the p/n if so, if not I can match it up.

Attachments

• P8160042.jpg
    P8160042.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 102
  • P8160041.jpg
    P8160041.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 92
  • P8160043.jpg
    P8160043.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 91

mreeves23

Big Hog Customs, LLC
Sep 15, 2011
Poseyville, IN
Tensioner pulleys, I'd recommend just swapping the entire pulley. They are under $20 each. I keep several in the shop so I can just swap anytime its needed. Good to hear you found the leak!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Hey Dale, could you post some pics when you relocate the GPCM? I'm planning on moving mine for a D/S dipstick too. Thanks.

Photo credit to The Neens!!

It's way better to get that &#$*&#$^ POS bracket off the engine. Like 10 bolts holding it on and all together and I even managed to bash knuckles with the engine on the floor removing it nevermind doing it in the truck!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Heads are off. Everything came off pretty easy. No issues. Caught myself before I got rammy taking off the intake manifold (remembered the two bolts inside :D)

Piston's and cylinders look tip top. Headgasket's even looked really good. Never thought I would be pulling it apart for anything but bad slugs but oh well.

Found my coolant leak I chased for 2 years - thermostat gaskets!

Now to find a CP3 for a decent price, clean everything up and decide what to do about injectors. Gotta check out the budget and decide if I chance the old injectors as is or send them out to go 40 or 60 over and flow checked. Easy to do later, but if I get them in and they are hung from sitting for a year I'm gonna be pissed.

Also still looking for turbo plumbing stuff. See my thread here: http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50547
Could really use this stuff!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Heads are at Curtis's shop right now. Found some interesting stuff with them. One valve on the D/S had a big knick in it and needed to be filed down before he could even get it out. And only one valve guide was worn enough to warrant changing on that head. The other head, ALL of the guides were worn out-some shockingly bad and you could start seeing it in the valve faces. Weird why one side and not the other.
Anyways, new higher strength springs, cleaned and re-lap or grind a few valve seats as needed and polish it up and should be better than new next week!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ya just looked. It's 4C there and sposed to be between 0 and 8 for the next week. Not impressed....

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well after a long hiatus, several personal issues keeping me from progressing with this build, I finally got into G&J and saw my rods, pistons and S480 twin kit for the first time. Shoulda took pics though....
Most everything looked top notch and even found everything that has been shipped there over the past 2-3 years still in order so big thanks to Brad Makinen for that!!

I was a little disappointed to discover how much radial wear the S480 had on the compressor side. Not touching the housing but close. A little surprising as I was told when I bought it had around 5000 miles on it or so. Also was a little surprised to find out the tag says "Garrett p/n"........ On it. WTF? I need to take it into Alamo to find out exactly what it is cuz I'm pretty sure it's not a Garrett. Pretty sure it's chinese...oh well. Gonna run it as is in case I need to pull the S464 to make changes to the compressor wheel. Not sure how the two are gonna work together.
Rest of the kit looks great and props to the dude that packed it-much better job than I've seen stuff come from other people.
Brad is hoping to get into the machine shop with it in the next month or two along with 5 others he has waiting so hopefully I might have a built short block by March!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk